+CheckEd Now Annually Required

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by Mac A. Bee, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

The RC posted: "Referee SafeSport status is verified through the SafeSport listing on our USA Fencing web page. This listing only draws from the Coach, +Coach and +CheckEd membership types. Therefore, these memberships must be renewed every year even though the background screen and SafeSport training are renewed every two years." For those who previously paid for the "+" only when renewing your screening, you'll have to now pay annually.

2. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

That is an obvious rip-off-- er, pardon me, "revenue enhancer". If they can't write a query that will identify whether a member had Coach, +Coach, or +CheckED membership in the last two years, they should come to me for SQL training.

dberke likes this.
  3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Bill them appropriately.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It was only a matter of time.

Coming next: required for ALL membership types.

There MUST be more money.

5. mfp

mfp Podium

That seems pretty "special" coming in a post from the Referee Commission that starts off with:

Dear Referees:

Thank you for your service to USA Fencing.

6. Zebra

Zebra Podium

My hockey referee registration is $110 annually, and that doesn't include the cost of background screens (done every two years).

7. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

The change to require maintaining Coach and/or +CheckED membership every year for those requiring background screens was introduced last season, concurrent with dropping the fee for +CheckED to $20. The announcement is new, but the policy is not.

B

Privateer likes this.
  8. Mac A. Bee

Which costs?

9. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Varies by state, my last one was about $28.00, I think. (that was the payment to the company that conducts the screening--none of that went to USA Hockey, and they have their costs for administering and monitoring the program).
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to be screened for multiple NGBs. My wallet would certainly appreciate it if the NGBs could develop a background check procedure that they all would accept, the way the centralized SafeSport training is now accepted by multiple NGBs.

Privateer likes this.
  10. Mac A. Bee

Not going to happen. My county police screen, let alone my older government clearance, weren't accepted.

11. mfp

mfp Podium

I'd guess otherwise. Since all USOC NGBs are now required to use the U.S. Center for SafeSport for all sexual misconduct complaints, it wouldn't be surprising to eventually see one or more companies' background check products annointed by the Center for SafeSport. Especially since it would be an opportunity for the Center to arrange for a cut of the $ involved.

12. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

It’s certainly plausible that at least all of the Olympic family sports will eventually migrate to a single system and a single set of criteria for pass/fail. That might also necessitate “red light” appeals being routed to the Center for Safe Sport, rather than in-house at each NGB. That likely wouldn’t be a bad thing, increasing consistency, reducing potential conflicts of interest, establishing a broader standard, and greater independence. At the cost of local/idiosyncratic decision-making (good or bad, depending on the situation and one’s perspective).

B

(edit: corrected typo)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  13. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Reducing the conflicts of interest is the big one. The situation in gymnastics got as bad as it did because the program was bringing home olympic gold medals and nobody in the NGB wanted to upset it.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  14. Privateer

Privateer Podium

One of my coaches does a lot of work with local school districts who use Live Scan. He has to submit to it separately for each district, sometimes at the same vendor. it's crazy, but I guess they all want their separate reporting, despite it being the same check procedure.

15. Mac A. Bee

I had to submit my county police screen to each district, but if it was a different county...

Privateer likes this.