changes to priorty interpretation?

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by anton_fairfax, Nov 12, 2018.

1. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

Yes. Thanks.
    If you can parry the repost then you do. But ofttimes things are happening rather more quickly than that and giving UP on the remise is playing to lose.

I don’t know what kind of foil you fence, but mine doesn’t happen in slow tidy motion.

2. keropie

keropie Podium

Sure, but in an early/beginner training session, it seems reasonable. Especially if you allow remises to stop the action, but essentially count as off target. One should (generally) build conventional actions and then add in non-conventional actions (depending on the athlete's aptitudes, body style, twitch reflex, time to train before competition, etc.)

Certainly I remise plenty of times, either to draw a riposte on my desired timing, or to score (or occasionally because I don't have any better ideas), but I agree that it shouldn't be a default option for a beginning fencer.

3. sdubinsky

sdubinsky DE Bracket

BUT IT SHOULD. Haven't you been seeing all those posts in this thread? Your foil must be a clean conversation of the blades, a neat sequence of feint-disengage and parry-riposte. If your opponent manages to avoid your attack, you must respect their accomplishment and not attempt a remise, even if it would land in time.

NeilNZ and wwittman like this.
  4. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

Exactly.
    It's nice to learn the classic technique, but it's every bit as important to learn to fence in the way that it's going to get called.