Can you use a #5 blade in a mixed Y10/12 event?

Discussion in 'Parent's Corner' started by MarylandFencingMom, May 10, 2016.

1. MarylandFencingMom

MarylandFencingMom Rookie

Just wondering if a fencer can use a #5 blade if the event is mixed Y10/12?

2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Mixed Y10/Y12 isn't an official age category so there is no official rule on what is required. I'd suggest asking whomever is organizing the tournament. Fwiw my club does unsanctioned Y11 events, and only the shorter blades are permitted.

3. fdad

fdad Podium

I think you must be talking about an event that is technically Y12:
    Youth 12 – 2003-2006 . A fencer born after 2006 can fence in Youth 12 IF the fencer is on the National Youth 10 point standings at the time of the entry deadline for that tournament

4. MarylandFencingMom

MarylandFencingMom Rookie

It is billed as an unsanctioned Y12 mixed ages 12 and under event. I'll just bring both weapons and ask them what is allowed.

5. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

Hope so. Would you expect a y12 fencer to go out and buy two size 0 or 2 blades just to play in this unsanctioned event?

6. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

If you, in fact, have only 2 weapons and one is not (too long) legal, you technically do not qualify to fence in A USFA meet. I think unsanctioned means "no ranking can be earned" from the event. We occasionally hold youth events that are unsanctioned so that we can combine ages to get larger numbers. We of course follow all of the equipment and safety rules. We also would make it clear that the fencers may use any blade length they desire, otherwise, the older fencers would need to smaller weapons that they can only use in this unique circumstance.

I think it is better to contact the organizer to be sure, especially if travel is involved.

7. piste off

piste off Podium

They can use either.

A Y12 fencer can use a #2 blade and often does if they are a Y10 fencer. It can be a bit confusing. Last year at Nationals I saw a (very good ref) improperly disallow the shorter blade in the Y12 event. The 10 year old fencer had to scurry to find longer blades. I told his older brother to go to the BC and verify. He came back and said the ref was correct. Knowing the rule, I asked him specifically what was asked and he said "Do you have to fence with a #5 blade in Y12?" They said yes. I asked him to go back and ask "Can you fence with a #2 blade in Y12?" They also said yes. But absolutely, you can use either.

8. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

Yeah, What he said. The age criteria on blades is a "one-way" street and only applies to Y-10. I'm in the Y-70 category. I can and do use #2, #3, #4, & #5 length blades locally, nationally, and at vet-worlds.