can you parry after being hit, and is this a "late parry"?

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by anton_fairfax, Aug 29, 2018.

1. anton_fairfax

anton_fairfax Rookie

I have searched the forum but can't seem to quite find the right answer to this.

I just want to confirm if, in foil, an attack lands, and the defender parries AFTER the attack lands, and ripostes in enough time such that there's two lights, then the attacker would be awarded the point. Is this right?

My understanding is that even if the parry is intentional etc, one can't "deflect" the blade if the blade has already landed.

Someone at my club had this happen (he was the one attempting the parry) and he was under the impression that if he can parry and riposte quick enough such that there's two lights, the parry riposte would be "in time", and thus take precedence.

I imagine he was comparing it to situations where If you hit first, but your opponent hits you afterwards BUT they have priority - quick enough to get two lights - they get the attack, and yours is the counterattack, even if you hit "first", since if there's two lights, both are in time. He seemed to be applying that to parry/riposte scenario.

My feeling was it ISN'T a parry once the point lands, and thus not a riposte, but I'm happy to be corrected!

And secondly, would this count as a "malparry" or "late parry" or any such term that I've heard thrown around?

and thirdly, with all this talk of who hit first, it makes me wonder, did Han Solo even have priority or was it Greedo's attack?

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Confirmed.
    "Parry Late" is current term.

anton_fairfax likes this.
  3. dberke

dberke Podium

If the attack lands before the parry, the correct call is "Attack arrives. Touch." What the defender does after that (attempt a parry, counterattack, start crying, etc.) doesn't really matter since the action has ended.

Based on what you've written, your friend doesn't really understand right-of-way. It's not about the lights, it's about the phrase. There are situations where you will get the point even if your light doesn't turn on first. For example, if you parry an attack and the fast remise hits you, if your riposte starts immediately after the parry, it is likely that your light will come on after the light from the remise, but it is still your touch since you have right-of-way. (Of course, if you take too long, your light will be locked-out and the remise will be a one-light touch.)

Dan

4. anton_fairfax

anton_fairfax Rookie

thank you! that's what I thought/assumed, but had never read it anywhere

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Han's attack was in Greedo's preparation

Grey Sabreur likes this.
  6. neevel

neevel Armorer

It was AIP in 1977. It became a counterattack in 1997,and then a simultaneous attack with one hit in 2004.

ktinoue3, posineg and Purple Fencer like this.