Camp ideas/What would you want at camp?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by ZenoQuinn, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ZenoQuinn

ZenoQuinn Rookie

Howdy Ya'll!
    I've been musing Fencing.net for years but never bothered to post anything (there is already a lot of insightful and entertaining bits on here), but now the time has come to ask for your help..

I'm going to be a coach at a weekend fencing camp this summer and would like some input. I'm a young guy (under 20), I've been fencing for 12 years, an A in epee, and just passed my moniteur exam in Epee. I've also been coaching in my club for a while, however doing mostly individual lessons. My question for you all is what are some good group drills/lessons/concepts/cool ideas that might be interesting and effective? I don't have a lot of group work experience so I'm a little nervous about finding something that is simple but also develops the fencer well. For the most part the students at the camp range from 12-20 years of age and have at minimum 6 months experience. Anything from setting up the distance for a fl├Ęche to a simple circle six is fair game, I'm just wondering what you all might think is a must need for a starting fencer to know. I know many camps rely heavily on fitness and body health instead of actual fencing, so I'm trying to make this camp enjoyable but productive!

Best Wishes
    Z

2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Start at the other end of the equation. What specific teaching goals do you have? What skills do you want them to learn? Then from there you can come up with different scenarios where a fencer gets to practice that skill. Now think about their opponent. What actions or skills set up that learning opportunity and what can the other fencer practice within those. That ensures that group drills benefit both fencers.

For example, if I want to provide a drill to hone a defensive circle 6 riposte, that means the fencer practicing circle six needs the other fencer to attack, preferably with a direct attack. So I could set up a drill where both fencers are limited to either direct attack or circle six riposte. No other actions are allowed to score. The secondary skill that is practiced here is timing and distance preparation for a direct attack that will arrive before the parry. This actually encapsulates both of your example skills.

3. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

This is the approach I would definitely recommend. I would add another observation: "What skills do the fencers in the camp already have?" I remember attending a camp quite a few years ago ran by a very knowledgeable foreign coach. In spite of his skills, he made a very critical mistake the first day in assuming that the attendees at the camp knew much more than they actually did, thus wasting the first day of camp as he tried to figure out why none of his drills were working.

jdude97 and DangerMouse like this.
  4. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

Also, for some ideas, there are a series of videos from the German Jr. National coach (at the time) on epee. Worth watching the entire set. Here is the first one: