Cambridge Analyica...

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Gav, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

I'm surprised no one has brought up the recent revelations from the CA scandal. I know, at first sight, it might seem like a "British problem". This organisation has strong links to the K Conservatives, Etonian links, UK right wing tory funders, Tories involved in our Brexit shambles etc. But these guys were also involved with Bannon-Trump election campaign. One Infosec wag described the use of their methods as waging psyops on the US citizenry.

So given some of the people on this forum, I am genuinely surprised no one has mentioned it.
    You should take a look at the Guardian - they broke the story and there's a ton of stuff there.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/26/the-cambridge-analytica-files-the-story-so-far

It's quite big news...

2. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I think most of us out here who follow politics are aware of it. The political discussion here is pretty sporadic.

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

And it's nothing new, unfortunately. Been going on for years, and CA was not the first or only organization to do it. Not even the first political campaign to do it.

4. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

It didn't used to be this quiet. People used to chat a lot more about stuff.

5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I think we're all depressed.
    Personally, I find it interesting that CA used a population subset (Fb users) to influence both the UK and US voters.

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It's not just here. A lot of the discussion ( argument ) which previously went on in forums has gone to Facebook and other social media.

7. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

Initially it was reported as if CA "stole" the data from FB, but now it seems like that's not the case, and FB was aware of the vulnerability for quite some time. So now there isn't even an obvious crime to prosecute, and we're just supposed to accept the fact that there is absolutely zero privacy online.

The political propaganda aspect of it is interesting, but not really shocking. And again, maybe not even criminal.

8. K O'N

K O'N Podium

9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It's safest to presume that there isn't, and has never been, and never will be.

10. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

I think that's the sensible mindset to operate under, for the time being. But that doesn't mean the current state of affairs should be acceptable. There are remedies to these problems, but nobody in power is interested because either they don't understand the problem or are making way too much money off of the problem.

Maciej Cegłowski has some amazing talks on the topic of big data and privacy, for anyone who is interested:
    http://idlewords.com/talks/internet_with_a_human_face.htm
    http://idlewords.com/talks/haunted_by_data.htm

Goldgar likes this.
  11. CrownOfCanada

CrownOfCanada Rookie