BSI Thin Glue Stuck Cap

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by jkormann, May 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I've been using the Bob Smith Industries thin CA glue for all rewires. Wonderful stuff!
    However, the stupid cap keeps getting stuck (glued) on. I've done everything their web site and the internets suggest.

How do I save what's left in the current bottle -- I was considering putting it into another container to save what's left, but not sure if that would start it curing in there..

if I get another bottle, how do I keep that cap from becoming stuck on.

Any suggestions?

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The screw on nozzle or the colored cap?

I usually buy a handful of the nozzles...that way I can just replace them as they get chewed up (which affects control of the glue flow).

If it's the colored cap...I usually grab it with some pliers and break it loose.

3. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

That usually my solution when this happens. However it's better to avoid getting into this situation to begin with.

Start off by wiping any excess glue from the side of the nozzle with a paper towel or something else disposable, then wait a moment for any residue to set before placing the cap back on. It also helps to store the bottle upright (one reason I don't keep it in my case anymore - when travelling I prefer the single-use mini tubes). And don't get a larger bottle than you will use in a given amount of time (certainly no more than six months). Once the bottle's opened the glue will proceed to thicken over time, even if left in the original bottle.

4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

It's a colored cap and it's getting chewed up from doing just what you said, Purp. I've gone through about 1/3 of the bottle so far.
    SJ, the 2oz was the smallest bottle I could find at the time. Next time, it'll be the 1/2oz.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I do so many blades, I just leave the cap off until I'm done....the glue on the outside tends to be dry enough to minimize the cap sticking.

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Duct tape somehow. Or WD-40.

7. neevel

neevel Armorer

TBH, if you’re not doing a lot of blades, just get the 1/4 oz Zap CA bottles. CAs (especially thin ones) have a limited shelf life after opening, so bigger bottles are a false economy if you don’t use a lot, and the double cap that Zap uses does a better job of keeping the moisture out and preventing leakage.

8. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

That’s a perpetual problem. I try to keep the cap as clean as possible and I scrape the dried exess off the nozzle. Sometimes I even squirt a bit of laquer thinner into the cap before putting it back on.

Here’s a cool tip someone taught me... wipe down the nozzle with a plastic baggie.. superglue will not stick to the plastic! Use the same trick to wipe the excess off the blades!