Broken Jaw+ due to Russian Box of Death

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by sabersaber, Sep 2, 2016.

1. sabersaber

sabersaber Made the Cut

Sunday, Aug 28 - Bladefest in Tacoma, saber event - The "Russian Box of Death", new saber line rule claimed more victims at this event. First injury: flunge off the line- guard punch into the face of 15 year old boy. At the end of the match the boy said his face was numb, so they had an icepack on it.

Next injuries: Different opponent, tall, an epee fencer who decided to enter. 3 guard punches later into the same side of the face, combined with a referee who refused to stop the match or card the opponent as his guard punch was "not intentional" , ignored the coach asking strongly to stop the match, and made them continue. The coach called for the bout committee as the bout continued. By the time the head of the bout committee got to the piste the bout was over. Ice packs on the side of the face, fencer said his ears were ringing, while the referee argued with the head of the bout committee.

Other injuries: Broken hand due to keeping the close distance, and a young lady (14) keeping that close distance once they moved off the line took a huge hit to the leg requiring a long break. No skin broken but very painful and enormous bruise.

Results after Emergency room visit: Xray results: Jaw broken in 2 places, broken hand. MRI results: concussion.

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

They should just make us fence inside an octagonal cage.

3. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Why is the new rule the principal cause? Sounds like guard-punching is a preferred technique in Tacoma.

catwood1 and Privateer like this.
  4. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Who was the director in the second bout you mentioned? Because according to Justin Meehan, unintentional guard contact is still a card.

5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Russian fencing.

6. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I doubt broken hand can be blamed on RBoD, at least without a lot more detail.

I hate RBoD as much as the next guy, but I'm skeptical.

7. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The title should be changed to "... due to grossly incompetent refereeing". If two fencers are so close that one can hit the other one in the mask with his bell guard, then he's supposed to avoid any action which might do this. It doesn't matter if the closeness was due to the new en garde distance or if the fencers have closed distance via any other fencing actions.

8. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Remind me never to fence at Bladefest...

catwood1 and EldRick like this.
  9. Peach

Peach Podium

I would not be surprised about the broken hand - just try lefty to righty in RBoD sometime with tall teenage boys.

10. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

That's more serious injuries in one event than I can remember in several YEARS.

11. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Agreed, but it's the result of 1)incompetent fencers who were trained by 2) coaches who overstressed certain aspects of sabre that the RBOD is designed to reduce.

Stormbringer likes this.
  12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Fortunately, none of my students charge in like a bull at Pamplona...we've managed to avoid these kinds of collisions in class.

13. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

So stay away from Tacoma and keep your mind open about the RBOD. Hey, it might not work out.

14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Well, one of mmy other students had a time there last year when she was told her foil globe was not legal due to the body cord slot, even though that IS still legal worldwide.

Besides, we're in SoCal, so WA is a bit out if the picture.

15. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

This sounds hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Are we sure they weren't involved in the Knight Fighting League?

16. Peach

Peach Podium

And this is different from a large part of the country how? :)

abouttothunder and Allen Evans like this.
  17. Zebra

Zebra Podium

But some of those coaches might see the collisions as a feature, not a bug.

18. Peach

Peach Podium

Huh. In sabre, I have been guard-punched and even knocked down (twice in Summer Nationals one year), with no card and with no retaliation on my part, though I did go to the trainer to be checked for concussion. It happens more often than you might think in sabre, and the general consensus seems to be suck it up and deal. I generally say something peevish, collect myself, and get back on guard when it happens to me.

Someone is making a big lunge against someone who, instead of going back, is going forward, and it happens.

Eledex and Allen Evans like this.
  19. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The problem I see if the closer distance shortening the time to slow down after the lunge is complete....that extra meter or so might make a difference.

20. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

Pre-RBOD: the fencers take a big, fast step forward. Now they're closer than RBOD distance. Plus to avoid guard-punching someone, you don't need to slow down; you just need to adjust the diection of your forearm.
    II'm not advocating RBOD, but let's see how it plays out with competent fencers.