Breeches (Knickers) For the "Shape-Challenged"

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by JimJay, Jan 31, 2018.

1. JimJay

JimJay Rookie

Hi, All

I'm at that lucky(?) stage in life where I can kind-of afford to buy a decent uniform, even if my age (almost 70) dictates that my shape is somewhat difficult to cover. I'm pretty much decided on the Leon Paul Apex jacket but have a problem further down Basically, my waist hovers between 36" and 38" while my hips are pretty steady at 40" and my legs are slender (or spindly ;) ).

I was attracted to the Leon Paul Apex breeches but they seem to be pretty baggy, so would look kind of silly on me. I'm now veering towards the Allstar Startex, which supposedly might be a better fit. Unfortunately, the country in which I live doesn't have a single fencing store, so try-before-buying isn't an option.

Any suggestions/advice would be gratefully received.

2. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

PBT will basically do a made to order uniform for a small upcharge.

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

And check Triplette Competition Arms. They do custom-made uniforms.
    You don't mention which country you are in. I'd check with the local fencing control board if having the knickers modified by a tailor makes them illegal.

4. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

I'm pretty sure Leon Paul offer custom fit if you just ask them.
    Allstar used to offer something similar but I'm not certain how that works in the US.

5. mfp

mfp Podium

6. damianip

damianip Podium

Negrini will do custom sizes as well.

7. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

Triplett really aren’t they some china brand I think u should go for one of the known brands

8. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

Triplette Competition Arms is an American company based in North Carolina. Their uniforms are made in-house.

I need help and Chauffeur like this.
  9. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Literally, if I recall correctly.

10. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

jdude97 likes this.
  11. EldRick

EldRick Podium

I have the same shape issue: my waist has grown faster than my calves. I recently bought Negrini FIE knickers, and while the fit in the body and legs was good, the elastic at the knee was curiously loose. I had to get out needle and thread and take a tuck in the elastic to make it snug enough to not slide down my calf.

12. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

Oh thanks for enlightening me I confused triplelette with a China brand that sells Low quality products

13. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

I just checked out the Triplett website and would like to ask if anyone has tried the fie jacket

14. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

Is their fie equipment worth buying?

15. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

How is the weight of their equipment compared to the more known Brand’s such as Leon Paul or allstar

16. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

Is the equipment light and comfortable to use ?

17. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Triplette does not have a very good reputation in the competitive fencing community in general. They have had a few debacles over the years including, if I remember the details correctly, advertising a mask as FIE when it had not been homologated by the FIE and was not legal for international competition. From what I've seen, their equipment is ok quality, but not as good as many other brands for the same price. Their uniforms tend to be cut on the boxy side, but getting one custom made could solve that.

That said, they are the only real U.S. manufacturer of fencing uniforms that I'm aware of, so you might be able to send your knickers back and forth until they are tailored to fit you.

18. EldRick

EldRick Podium

I have a custom jacket and epee pants from Triplette from about 6 years ago. The material is lightweight and cools very well, and the fit is good. No complaints.

19. robert

robert Made the Cut

I just last month got a custom made set of PBT FIE breeches to accommodate a back brace I need to wear. Basically the same price and it only took a few weeks so super service. They altered the top to accommodate my measurements. Very satisfied.

20. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I had a Triplette sabre jacket many years ago, back in the days when the things were still of cotton duck or canvas and came without a cuissard. I had it custom tailored with a higher collar and longer sleeves. It was very well made and lasted a long time.

When sabre went electric I had a lamé from them as well. They had sewed their brand label on over the lamé material, but otherwise it too was perfectly fine.

It has been a long time since I have used any of their equipment, mostly because I tend to make all of my purchases at NACs and they do not usually attend.