body wire causing valid hits to register as invalid on opponents lame..?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by anton_fairfax, Nov 27, 2018.

1. anton_fairfax

anton_fairfax Rookie

I have a body wire issue i can’t resolve, ( or even work out how it’s possible).

When i am wearing the wire, and hit my opponents lame, it gives an OFF target light.

It’s definitly the wire as we switched everything else, but I don’t understand how that can be happening...

It doesn’t give random off targets, only when the tip hits, so there doesn’t seem to be a connection break.

But if there’s no connection break, how is it not lighting up the red light since the circuit would be closed when touching the lame??

Have tested reels, opponents wires, scoring box etc, it’s definitely this wire but I can’t understand how...

2. neevel

neevel Armorer

Sounds like the B and C lines at the weapon end are reversed. To get a valid light, you need to get closure between your B-line (which runs up to and through the end of the foil tip) and your opponent's A-line. If the wires are reversed at your weapon plug, the tip-end is connected to the C line, not B, and so you don't get the your-B to opponent's-A closure when you depress your tip against their lame.

If you have a 2-prong cord, you need to switch which wire is going to which pin. For a bayonet, switch the terminals the wires are going through on the lower part of the plug. In general, it's good practice to use a marker to make a dot on the wire going to the C-line when you take apart the plug, to avoid getting them reversed when you reassemble it.

3. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

One other test you might try: Hold your blade against your opponents lame (bare metal to bare metal), then press the tip with your finger (or something else non-conductive. If the machine registers a valid touch then that will pretty much confirm Neevel's diagnosis.

4. anton_fairfax

anton_fairfax Rookie

Oh my god, that’s it!

thank you so much! In hindsight that seems so obvious.....