blue gauntlet vs absolute fencing gear

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by RedDinosaur, Apr 18, 2009.

1. VorpalCat

VorpalCat Podium

Not true. From the USFA's insurance FAQ: There are no restrictions with regard to proper attire; however, this raises the likelihood of a potential injury and negligence which could increase the chances for an injury that could result in a liability claim. (Emphasis added.)

2. Rockstar44

Rockstar44 Rookie

Yeah, well, neither is any kind of mask. Are you gonna fence without a mask because it's not required? I am especially surprised at you, M. O., knowing what you do for a living.

If you are fencing, you need to wear a plastron, whether it's required or not.

3. Morale Officer

Morale Officer DE Bracket

1) Didn't say I don't wear one at practice
    2) Accidents happen w/ or w/o the plastron. In fact, WORSE accidents can happen even WITH the plastron - what happens if a blade breaks and slips up under your bib and is NOT snagged by your collar?
    3) Don't blame me for clubs that don't require a plastron...I just said some clubs DON'T require it unless you compete.

4. Rockstar44

Rockstar44 Rookie

I don't understand what you mean by this. I don't see the connection. Please explain.

5. Morale Officer

Morale Officer DE Bracket

An example of a possible accident that doesn't matter if you are wearing a plastron or not.

6. kuroutesshin

kuroutesshin Made the Cut

I started off using Blue Gauntlet, and I've found their stuff to be anywhere from quite good to terrible. They're pretty good for mid-range non-FIE stretch jackets, but their weapons are pieces of junk and their bodycords aren't much better. My original competition jacket and knickers are BG, and I really do like them- easy to clean, good durability, and generally quite flexible.

Absolute is in the same category, I think- their weapons are godawful, but their kit is pretty good quality for US-produced stuff; I can't say I'm a fan of their FIE range at all. Their bodycords are quite nice, though, and their new mask range is solid.

7. RedDinosaur

RedDinosaur Rookie

I know these are noob questions but....
    What type of equipment must be worn at a US fencing match vs an international match? Are FIE equipment required at all levels?

8. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

FIE gear is not required for USFA events at any level.

9. Delta

Delta Rookie

I wear both the AF Ultralight and the BG Edge.
    Just a caveat, the BG Edge lame is very, very susceptible to having individual threads being pulled from the fabric and tearing in general. Any sliver on the blade will probably cause the ugly loops on the lame and sooner or later you'll probably have to patch it up. This happened within a year that BG first released the lame ( and I only wore this lame for competition, so twice a week max). It still works, but if you know you're going to be fencing a long time, I suggest spending twice the money for the LP. I have a friend who doesn't treat his LP lame as well as he should, and he says he's never washed it in the 2-3 years he's had it. He wears it to both practice and competition, sometimes bunches it up and throws it into the sweaty fencing bag dungeon....still looks and works great.

10. RedDinosaur

RedDinosaur Rookie

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

See the beginner's guide referenced in my signature block...it has the list of MINIMUM gear requirements for US tourneys.

And the underarm protector IS required at tournaments (t.45 section 1). Also the USFA-specific note after t.44, m.25 section 3, etc. The rulebook refers to it as a plastron, however. There are multiple places where it's referenced.

What division does NOT require them for competition?