blue gauntlet vs absolute fencing gear

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by RedDinosaur, Apr 18, 2009.

1. RedDinosaur

RedDinosaur Rookie

2. yearsofwisdom

yearsofwisdom Rookie

personally i love absolute stuff. its just a higher quality and much more comfortable. i have never tried this"high quality" BG stuff but i have used one of their jackets and its god awful

3. ApAperture

ApAperture Rookie

I can only comment on the BG stuff because I only have experience from their stuff.

Jacket: Doesn't stretch. I would buy something else.

Mask: Not bad at all; I haven't had any problems with it.

Practice Weapon: I hardly used my practice weapon since my club is primarily electric. If the fencers in your club use electric, buy electric so you can fence with them.

Glove: No problem.

This set doesn't have a bag, but I recommend you buy a bag anyways. It's easier to go around with them, especially when you got a ton of equipment to lug.

4. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

You should probably consider the additional items you would have to order to bring the BG beginners set in line with the Absolute set. In particular you will need to order an underarm protector unless you already have one (which seems unlikely if you are looking at a beginners set).

Personally I would order the Absolute set if only because they are the first vendor I know of to include this important piece of safety gear in their set (hopefully other vendors will follow suite - it's something that is long overdue).

5. RedDinosaur

RedDinosaur Rookie

so the consensus is that BG stuff is not so great?

by any chance have you been to their store?

6. yearsofwisdom

yearsofwisdom Rookie

basically

7. Morale Officer

Morale Officer DE Bracket

I had a BG jacket when I started fencing again last year. It was OK. I finally upgraded to an Escrime jacket and knickers. I have an AF Sabre mask which is ok (I'm upgrading to an LP X-change), but it's very loose (even after having measured for the mask). I do have the BG mask which is OK as well (also upgrading my foil mask to an LP X-change), but I have a very hard time hearing in it...it's also extremely hot. I also had to replace my BG ACG glove with one of the BG Functional gloves to better feel what I was doing.
    I do have to agree that if you are going to keep fencing for a while, you'll want all the "extras" that come with the AF set. Especially the Plastron and Bag. You'll need something to keep all that gear together with.

8. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

While a bag would certainly be a nice "extra" to have an underarm protector isn't just an "extra" - it's a requirement.

9. ApAperture

ApAperture Rookie

For tourneys.

10. Morale Officer

Only a requirement if you compete for some clubs.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  11. yearsofwisdom

yearsofwisdom Rookie

and yes i have been to BG stores.

12. Delta

Delta Rookie

I have used both BG and Absolute gear over the years and they both of different strengths and weaknesses.
    I like BG masks and weapons more, their jackets and body cords less. Opposite holds true for Absolute, exception being I'm partial to their guards.
    If you're just starting out, I would suggest getting the kit that gets you the most stuff for the money. That being said, if you know you're going to stick with fencing for a long time, why not invest in some items? A good glove is always a great place to start.

13. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Tell that to the family of the Ukranian kid who died a few years ago after a blade went through his FIE jacket then through the big hole where the sleeve of his underarm protector would have been if he hadn't cut it off.

IIRC that was at a competition, however accidents can also happen in practice (especially with beginners since they generally lack control of their actions).

14. Morale Officer

We never said it's right that the plastron isn't required for practice, just that it's only required for tournaments in the US.

15. Eejit

Eejit Rookie

Absolute would be my choice because they have good customer service and their set deals actually offer a very significant discount from just assembling the items on your own. Furthermore I think their products are of superior quality, especially this deluxe kit vs the BG kit. I have both the Absolute Comfort Pants and Plastron (though I do use the Negrini uniform most of the time) and they really ARE comfortable, so my reccomendation is overwhelmingly for them. Plus they're just nice people :D

16. ApAperture

ApAperture Rookie

I think you chose the wrong word in you're earlier post. It is for the best if everyone wears this protective gear. However, it's not a requirement and there is a difference between those two.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  17. daveappr

daveappr DE Bracket

Just remember to wear your plastron to be covered by the USFA club insurance policy.........

18. fatfencer

fatfencer Podium

You say tomato....

This is like asking if you like Chicken or... Chicken

Imho, of course.

19. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

My opinions:
    Absolute makes better "clothing." Their jackets, knickers, and plastrons are nicer and more comfortable. Their body cords are less prone to problems as well, from my experience.
    BG, however, makes decent cheap weapons (foil and epee, saber blades are saber blades so either brand is about the same, IMO). For the price, they're not bad (although I don't use them). If you can't afford a FIE mask (the one piece of FIE equipment that I'd recommend to beginners), the BG masks below are soild.

For basic lames, both are about the same. I'd avoid AF's Ultralight Washable Lames like the plague. If you can get an Infinity lame from BG in your size, do so as they're great (especially for saber) with the one caveat that I'd use the D-ring on your jacket not the lame as the material is very light and can tear when the D-ring is pulled too hard. If not, BG's "edge premium silky" lames are the next best thing to the lovely LP lames.

Saber: http://www.blue-gauntlet.com/store/products/310
    Foil/Epee: http://www.blue-gauntlet.com/store/products/306

20. Morale Officer

As far as the body cords go, the AF standard body cords seem to last me about 6 months (that's with maintaining them at home and taking care of them) for sabre and I think they lasted about 8 months for foil. My LP body cords (that I had in college) lasted me all 4 years (for foil) with maintaining them at home.