BF Price Drop

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Stence, Jul 27, 2017.

1. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

That image was sent to me from the owner. Not mine. This group of blades in the image are the ones the owner gave to the Italian foil team to beat the heck out of them. Good way to test them I guess.

2. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Emfuser:
    I am going to say that I will most likely have them by October. Just a guess. Dealing with the Euro holiday right now.

Gary

Emfuser likes this.
  3. OrangeandStripey

OrangeandStripey Made the Cut

None shall fence or or coach save they have the Mark of the Beast... :)

Seriously, why do these things have to have rfid?

Black Widow likes this.
  4. Mitchell

Mitchell hi Staff Member

Apparently because people have been sneaking in non-FIE counterfeit equipment into world cups, fencing on equipment that doesn't necessarily meet the manufacturing and safety requirement guidelines.

To the vendors out there: does anyone know if the FIE gets any kickback on the FIE approval stamps/seals? Because if so, it could also partly be a crackdown on bypassing those kickbacks.

5. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

With counterfeit FIE logos?
    I've seen equipment passed that wasn't even labelled FIE, which seems like a lower hanging fruit but then again if people are counterfeiting logos then it's a different level of issue.

6. Mitchell

Mitchell hi Staff Member

My understanding is yes. But also, I think I have my info like third-hand, so take it with a grain of salt.

7. neevel

neevel Armorer

About 15 years ago or so (at a Summer Nats in Austin) a vendor was selling sabre masks with a false FIE logo on them (a number of the masks failed punch test brand new). I personally failed a couple of them.
    I've not heard of blades with fraudulent FIE stamps on them.
    Currently, you can cross-check an item against the FIE's published lists of homologated equipment, which are available here.

8. Black Widow

Black Widow Made the Cut

I can't for the life of me grasp why someone would do that. To save a few bucks? Fencing at that level? So dumb. All it does is instigate more onerous rules and regs.
    Safety equipment is there for a reason yo. o_O

OrangeandStripey and jdude97 like this.
  9. brtech

brtech Podium

ISTM that the RFID thing is somewhat more a revenue source than an anti-fraud device, but there is no doubt that there have been some fraudulent clothing items complete with fraudulent FIE logos.

10. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Mitchell,

Once a FIE seal is approved after testing, right now, they just tell the mfg its OK to use the seal. There is no (your words) kickback.
    Now, in the 2017-2018 season: the FIE will be *selling* the programmed RIFD chips to the mfg and then passing this on to the re-seller and then onto the consumer.

Meaning:
    The SEMI takes a $0.15 cent RIFD chip, programs it, sells it to the mfg for $2.00 each, then the mfg sews it or secures it or what ever.
    Now take every single FIE mask, jacket, plastron, blade, sabre glove made and count how many RIFD chips that comes up to and multiply this times $1.85 profit to the SEMI and then you could say that there is a (your words) a kickback. As Brtech already said, in my opinion, this is a pure revenue generator.

The really sad part of all this is going to be in the blades. To really get a blade clean from a broken wire is to soak it in acetone. How many RIFD chips are going to end up in the bottom of acetone bomb. What does one do when a stressed blade pops the RIFD chip out? Who knows? Does this mean you are going to have to contact the blade mfg and request a new RIFD chip? There are a cluster of questions that are still out there with no answers.

Gary Spruill

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 4:36 PM
  11. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

But this is like complaining that all of us in 8th grade social studies are being punished because a few of us cheated. Apparently someone thought it worthwhile to put the FIE mark on equipment that wasn't up to standard. Hence the onerous outcome.

12. Emfuser

Emfuser Made the Cut

Thanks Gary

13. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

That is one way to look at it.

I was just answering the Kickback question.