Best spaghetti wire?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Stence, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Hey all, as summer nationals is coming up and I need to restock what do people look for in spaghetti wire (rubvery vs plastic, color, transparancy, smallest diameter etc) and based off that what brand do you recommend? I have been using LP spaghetti wire thus far and realized I dont know alot about the topic.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

In truth, anything that insulates the wire works.

I use cut up pieces of Loopy Cord. it's a hollow craft cord I get at Michaels. A bit too big to go through the mousehole on an epee socket, but I never use that anyway.

3. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

I also use a Michaels found product. Creatology Round Plastic Lacing. Cheap. Downside, possibly bright colors.

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

It's tough to make a definitive statement about that since many vendors frequently vary what sort of spaghetti tubing they are sourcing (though LP does seem to be consistent). LP tubing is on the larger end of the spectrum for diameter, which makes it easy to slide over wire, but harder to route through the socket mousehole if you like to assemble your epees that way. If you're at SNs, just walk around the vendors and see what they have. If you want a specific diameter, you can order it from McMaster-Carr (search for spaghetti tubing, it's listed as High-Temperature Chemical-Resistant Tube Sleeving)- foil and epee wires are generally about 30-gauge AWG. Plastic heat-shrink tubing also works fine and is available in a variety of sizes and colors. You don't want something too stiff, since it will be difficult to route as you want it.

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

If I'm at home in my workshop, I use 1/16" heat shrink tubing. If I'm working anywhere else, I use the LP tubing.

K O'N likes this.
  6. jkormann

jkormann Podium

The AF clear tubing works a-treat. Fits in the epee mouse-hole fine, and I like that it's clear.

7. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Thanks for the advice all, I don't have a Michaels very near me so it looks like I will be roaming around the SN floors to pick stuff up. Does anyone know if any of the vendors sell uncut rolls of spaghetti wire or do I have to buy the precuts?

8. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

Several vendors will sell lengths of spaghetti /shrink tubing, or you can find spaghetti tubing at Hobby Lobby, as well as Michael's and JoAnn's Fabrics. Look for Pony Bead supplies and get the smallest available. I only use it for foils-I use shrink tubing for epees, as it fits better in the groove through the bell guard, and in the mousehole.

9. Pezza

Pezza Rookie

Hi everyone
    I've been visiting the site for quite a while and have never posted.
    This is my opinion on spaghetti tubing. To me it is very important.
    Using any tube you can find is not good enough. I use the thinnest tube I can find which is available through most vendors. thick tube is no use to me as I use the mouse hole to keep things neat and tidy and wires out of the way. I also take the wire several mm into the groove in the blade and glue it in both epee and foil. You can't do that with thick wire. I do this to protect the wire as I have found that most of the damage especially in epees is at the bottom end of the tang near the bell guard.
    I also use the full length of wire as breakages often occur at the socket. By leaving the full length there is plenty of wire left for repairs. No it does not get in the way. It is tucked under the pad and taped if required . Easily done with thin tube.
    I don't remove the insulation under the tube as the tube is sometimes damaged
    exposing the wire (A repair I did last week)
    I remove the tube an any factory wired blade i get nd replace it with my own using all the wire.
    Pezza

10. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Donald, aren't we forbidden from using heat shrink now? Or is that just in conjunction with the solder lugs?

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The solder lugs were the issue, not the heat shrink.

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

And also required by the rules, so...

However, using the full length runs the risk of excess wire getting in the way, especially if you have a #0 blade. Having excess for repairs is fine, but anything over 7 inches is overkill.

13. Pezza

Pezza Rookie

I have used the full length of wire on all the club weapons used by anyone and everyone and have never had a problem, in fact it saves me a lot of rewiring.

14. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Sam, from the USFencing Website: https://www.usafencing.org/news_article/show/838159
    Use of Solder lugs and shrinkwrap to Terminate Weapon Wires. The US SEMI has determined that this method of connecting weapon wires to the socket violates the rules, and therefore is not an accepted practice. Referees have been informed to reject weapons using this method of connection, and can result in appropriate penalties.

15. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

As written, heatshrink is not allowed. If heatshrink by itself is allowed then the wording may need to be revised.

16. Pezza

Pezza Rookie

17. Pezza

Pezza Rookie

I'm not in the USA so I don't know your rules or if they differ internationally and I don't use shrink wrap or lugs .last year I ordered 10 foils from PBT and they were supplied with solder lugs. As they were only to be used by kids and not in competition I decided to use the lugs. I must admit it did make the job easier using the pbt socket.

18. dcchew

dcchew Podium

The use of shrink tubing as the wire insulation is a legal means of insulating the wire(s).

When you use the now illegal soldered ring lugs, an additional piece of shrink tubing was used to insulate the ring lug to wire junction. That 2nd piece of shrink tubing (and ring lug) is illegal. Of course, this only applies in the USA.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  19. Pezza

Pezza Rookie

Thanks eschew, I only used them that one time on some size 2 foils supplied by PBT used by young beginners at the club. I used them mainly because I didn't like the PBT socket and it was easier to solder the lugs.
    I would never use them in any other situation legal or not..

20. brtech

brtech Podium

You can use shrink wrap. The text of the interpretation said "and", "solder lugs and shrink wrap".
    I suppose that means you could try to use solder lugs and some other form of insulation, but that would have the same problem.