Best epee glove- opinions?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Phrogger, May 23, 2019.

1. Phrogger

Phrogger DE Bracket

I had an older glove that was too big for me. It also had a body cord opening, which I'm told is no longer legal. So I ordered an AF washable glove one size down. The hand part fits great but it's got a big, bulky cuff. So I get hit in the hand a lot because the cuff sticks out below the bell guard (yes I know I could fix this with better technique but still...). Worse, the first day I used it a hole was punched in the cuff.

I'd like to order a better epee glove. Tight fit with a nice tight, slick cuff. Preferably more durable than the last one as well. I looked at buying an Uhlmann glove from BG but the picture still shows an opening for the body cord. (Secondary question: can I sew the hole closed on the torn one? Or cut and modify the cuff? How much am I allowed to do to it?).

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. mfp

mfp Podium

If you only fence in USA Fencing events, then you were told wrong.

3. sme321

sme321 Made the Cut

I like FENCE PBT's "Anti-Slip" model with a "Rubberized" Palm/Finger surface, which in my experience, lasts much longer than their previous "Sticky" model. While their image does not show the closure, there is no body cord hole/opening and the flap closes neatly with strong hook & loop. Do order the one size down for the fit that you are looking for.

0000000000284_antislip_web1-jpg.png

https://www.alliancefencingequipment.com/product/anti-slip-glove-washable/

4. Finnegan79

Finnegan79 Rookie

I fell victim to this misunderstanding for the last competition i went to at my home club. i fence sabre, but there's only one other guy who does at the club and he coaches some youth foil, so its either go home early or fence epee. long story sort, didn't bring my epee glove b/c i was told two days before the competition the hole rendered it illegal, ended up fencing with my sabre glove, which is competition legal and thick. not that it would have made a difference, but it was awkward fencing epee with that thing.

5. Phrogger

Phrogger DE Bracket

Ok so just to be perfectly clear, the hole is only banned at international events?

6. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Replace the velcro and make it run the full length of the opening is one way. You could also sew the old body cord opening closed but that might make the glove more difficult to on. My understanding, MFP will correct me, is for local tournaments and your club the rule isn't implemented.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

It's not legal for epee if it has the built-in lame cuff. If a hit lands on the cuff and the lame is also in contact with the barrel, the hit could ground out.