Beginner's Tournament Guide: Free Download

Discussion in 'Parent's Corner' started by Craig, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

This 10 page ebook covers what you need to know to get ready for your first fencing tournament.

(The Beginner's Guide to Their First Fencing Tournament is distributed as a PDF, and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 or newer)

To download, click here.

Do you have a fencing site? You're welcome to distribute the PDF on your site as long as you do not alter any of the PDF and you give credit to Fencing.Net.

2. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

One thing you might want to add somewhere in there - Test equipment between bouts and especially between pools and DE's. Just because something passed weight (or weight and shim) prior to the last bout doesn't necessarily mean it will still pass the next time.

3. Craig

Read Page 6:

Craig

4. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Missed that one :eek: -

Feel free to disregard my previous comment.

5. youngevans79

youngevans79 Rookie

Thanks for the ebook. This is just what I was looking for. I am planning to be in my first tournament in the next 6 months.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Check mine out as well...been serving people well for over 10 years (more info...always better)

Check my signature block.

7. hpfencing

hpfencing DE Bracket

Craig,

You continueally amaze me with what you have hidden away here on fencing.net. This is a great resource. Thanks for sharing!

8. markmullen

markmullen Rookie

Thanks both of you for your guides, I have my first tournament at the weekend and am reading your guides for advice.

9. hpfencing

hpfencing DE Bracket

Hope your even is running very smoothly!

10. Zilverzmurfen

Zilverzmurfen Rookie

Am I the only one bugged by this? :huh:

If your bout is finished then get off the piste and do not deliberately prolong the poules! :angry:

It's a good thing to teach kids to check their weapons inbetween bouts but this should not be done on the piste, but rather by using their own (or loaned...) test equipment off-piste.

11. Craig

When I do it it takes 10 seconds at most. Also, *your* weight and shims may not match up exactly with the *tournament* weight and shims, so it's good to know that it will pass the test that will be applied on your next bout.

12. Zilverzmurfen

Zilverzmurfen Rookie

The weight and shims on that particular poule's table may also not match with those on your next poule's table. (I'm certain you too have experienced this IRL, at least with shims.)

Either way, this is a habit I find very annoying, regardless of whether I'm fencing or not.
    In my opinion it's better to NOT teach kids bad habits from the start.

13. K O'N

K O'N Podium

It's not a "bad habit". If your referee doesn't want you to do this s/he will tell you, otherwise it's fine, at least everywhere I've fenced in the US.

It takes a few seconds for the next fencer to get to the strip to hook up on your side. You can either spend that few seconds checking the shims (I don't do weights between bouts, but that's just me), or you can stand there with the reel cord in your hand. I don't think it delays the bout at all. If I get done and look up to see the next fencer right there I skip checking shims. But I never do.

K O'N

14. TBean

TBean Podium

I have to agree - it takes 10 seconds - and I do it after each bout. If my referee tells me not to or gives me an eyeball I won't, but as long as they say nothing I am testing. I don't think this is a "bad habit," I think you find annoying and have classified it as such. Checking your weapons is an important habit to get into.

15. Zilverzmurfen

Zilverzmurfen Rookie

Absolutely. Not arguing against that at all.