Bad teammates

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Mia Malverick, Apr 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mia Malverick

Mia Malverick Rookie

I go to a small fencing club in my town and recently I had trouble with other girls who go there. None of them care about fencing, they just go there to trash talk and I hate that because I need practice and I want to get better at fencing. I am at the edge of getting into my country's national team and I need as much training I can get. I can't change clubs because there is only one club in my town but they are so uninterested that my motivation sometimes gets down because of them. What do I do?

2. keropie

keropie Podium

Talk to your coach about your ambitions, and how he/she can support those. Don't let other fencers (or anyone else, ideally) drag you down.

3. Martingale

Martingale Rookie

As another suggestion, perhaps you might consider training with some of the men at your club. Some of the experienced senior fencers may be very happy to help you prepare for serious competitive fencing and may co-ordinate with your coach to improve your training. They will be able to challenge your fencing in ways that can be very beneficial to improving.

4. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

I second both suggestions. And try to beat your unhelpful teammates with perfect form.

Mia Malverick likes this.
  5. Phrogger

Phrogger DE Bracket

I used to have some of the worst teammates. I went to a tournament and won and all they told me was "you only won because we weren't there." There are terrible people everywhere. I'd pull back from socializing with them and just do your best to shut them up on the strip.

Mia Malverick likes this.