Bad News for Fencing: The IOC Votes Against Adding Olympic Medals

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by 10000Fencers, Aug 14, 2009.

1. 10000Fencers

10000Fencers Rookie

2. catwood1

catwood1 Podium

There is a sport where 1 guy can win 8 medals, but we can't get 12 for our entire sport? That seems fair...

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

And yet they're considering adding more sports...they couldn't add 2 more medals after dumping softball and baseball??

4. Mitchell

Mitchell hi Staff Member

[youtube]WWaLxFIVX1s[/youtube]

5. counter riposte

counter riposte Rookie

While we are thankful that we continue to be a part of the olympic tradition, times must and hopefully will change. Thank you Tim for the womderful article.

6. Empty Wallet

Empty Wallet Podium

It is disappointing for fencing, but some of the other recommendations are also interesting.

For 2012 they are introducinh women's boxing. On the relevance of medal counts -- currently 11 medals for men. Will become 10 men's and 3 women's.

Recommended for 2016 are golf (m & w) and rugby 7s (m & w).

7. Dev

Dev DE Bracket

I'm guessing Usain Bolt might have been able to take home a few more medals if, like Michael Phelps, he got to compete in the "backward" 100m and the "sideways" 100m and the "forward with your arms out" 100m.

Swimming is a joke.

Hyena and SFfencer like this.
  8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Och. Hardly unexpected, but still too bad. :(

9. pillow

pillow Podium

Very bad news, but at least we don't have to blame the USFA this time.

10. keith

keith Rookie

Of course we can! Proper financial management would have allowed sufficient funds for bribes, sorry, junkets.

11. thereom4

thereom4 Rookie

Never underestimate the power of a forum. Many on here are responsible for the halt of Stay and Play right? If every F.net member, their friends and their family sent 100 faxes a day for a month to (41.21) 621 62 16 (this is the IOC’s fax line)expressing discontent over this decision maybe they'll change their minds. Or at least their fax number. eFax.com has a 30 day free trial, after the trial period they charge $16.95 a month plus .10/pg. USD to send an online fax to Switzerland.

An online petition signed by members of the international fencing community could help too. Has their decision been written in stone?

12. tchwojko

tchwojko Rookie

The difference is that the fencing community is not responsible for much in the way of $ for the IOC, nor does it have any clout to use for anyone's job at the IOC.

13. thereom4

thereom4 Rookie

It couldn't hurt to try. Money is not the end all be all. Neither is clout.

The IOC does not.......

Encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women

or

Encourage and support the efforts of sports organizations and public authorities to provide for the social and professional future of athletes

or

Encourage and support the development of sport for all

when it cuts medals.

Source: Olympic Charter (starts at pg. 15 of the pdf)
    http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_122.pdf

14. oso97

oso97 Rookie

Do you really think the majority of the IOC members give a rat's a$$ about the Olympic Charter? Its about money, plain, pure and simple. The IOC is the ultimate corrupted bureaucracy.

15. downunder

downunder Podium

Not trying to be too contradictory but I've been following the IOC executive meeting for a few days now and nothing in any media has been said about fencing so the article. This is probably not positive, but other sports have been told they can have new events if they cut down the athletes and/or in existing categories. I don't know if fencing falls into this category and without seeing the full report we won't know until IOC congress in December.

Also the OP is wrong about when we will find out who misses out - we will find out after FIE congress in November.

16. Sabresque

Sabresque Rookie

I hate to be a downer, but that vader thing wasn't funny at all to me.... some people train for years for a shot at an olympic spot and funding. Now that this is out there, the question remains: why did those (bleepbleepbleepitybleeps) have to choose two womens events the first time around?

17. downunder

downunder Podium

do remember it is only the team event that gets cut - it actually gives talented individual athletes a better chance of qualifying.

I believe two women's events were taken out in 2004 because two new women's events came in. Rightly this was changed for 2008.

Funnily enough, if we had kept it unfair we might have had a better chance of more medals with the equality angle ;).

18. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

The FIE sent a letter out to the President of each member Federation. Attached was the letter from the IOC to the FIE.

I haven't seen that letter (either letter, actually) on the FIE website yet, although I assume it'll be posted there in the near future.

The paragraphs in the IOC letter relevant to the decision read:

I assume that "maintain the current events" actually means maintain the current number (i.e. 10), rather than the exact program. In which case the decision would come, as mentioned by DownUnder, in November at the FIE Congress meeting.

-B

19. downunder

downunder Podium

Ah that sucks - i miss these things as I'm on the other side of the world to my federation.

20. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

In some cases, making the team event might present the best shot to go. Al Carter was on a drive to make Beijing for men's foil team, but when that event was dropped, he stopped competing.