AskFred's demise seems to have been called prematurely

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by bbower, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Already happening. Organizers have stopped optioning paid- versus unpaid registrations display, instead showing all undifferentiated - some even padded. Was useful tool.

2. mfp

mfp Podium

Yes, some people are bad about that. Some change their club affiliations or whatever in askFred without making or verifying the changes are in the USFA database. That's those fencers' responsibility / problem, not the event organizers'.

While I believe FT now has an option to specify which field(s) are / aren't checked against the USFA data, organizers really shouldn't use it to skip club affiliations. Use the clubs fencers have listed in the USFA data.

If it's so important to the fencer that a certain club be listed, tell the fencer to get it changed in the USFA data. Organizers who use club affiliations from askFred info are just "feeding the bears" and contributing to the problem. Those organizers are spending time making things worse not better.

Organizers should really validate memberships again even if they already validated a fencers' membership earlier in the season. Fencers can have memberships suspended. Do you really want to be an organizer who let a suspended member fence in an event?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  3. Mac A. Bee

I had a clubmate who fenced "Unattached" so that he would be put in pools with a weaker clubmate.

4. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Nice. I hope the “weaker” guy rose up and smoked him.

5. Zebra

Zebra Podium

I don't know whether you've been on the other side of the check-in desk, but I can tell you that a BC who treats customers like that is going to have fewer customers at his/her next event.

Privateer likes this.
  6. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I suggested to Peet years ago that displaying a fencer's historical probability of showing up next to their name would have a good effect on this sign-up-but-don't-show behavior. If you've signed up for ten events in the past year and only shown up to four, a little .4 would appear next to your name, and for event strength calculations the site could count you as .4 of a B, or whatever your rating.

If you just showed the number, I think, it would make people behave better. Peet didn't think it was a good idea, so it never got tried out.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Absenteeism shaming? Tsk.

8. Mac A. Bee

There are two clubs in our vicinity that have a "naughty list", i.e. after the second time of registering but not showing you are only allowed at-the-door registration if there is room.

InFerrumVeritas and jdude97 like this.
  9. mfp

mfp Podium

A variant of this was tried out, minus the public shaming bit. Several years ago I tracked preregistration vs attendance at Bay Cup events (so lots of data) and individual fencers' historical signup vs show up rates were among the items calculated. The idea was use the info to forecast event sizes - didn't care so much about the rating of the events. Fencers' overall historical probability numbers were useful; other factors proved even better. Some methods for how to find such factors and incorporate them into models ended up in a bunch of commercial software and patents. (I was the chief software architect of a start-up doing analysis, modeling and forecasting software for capacity planning at the time.)

Yes, there are heaps of examples and research that prove that. Oddly, you don't even have to show the number to get people to behave better. Just letting people know that you are (or will be) tracking some related number gets better behavior.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  10. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

Finally something USFA registration took from askfred that is useful. Now it will calculate a possible rating for a tournament based on current registration and there is a popup link to the ratings chart for a quick check.

11. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

Now of course esimated ratings for tournaments are on the usfa web site