AskFred's demise seems to have been called prematurely

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by bbower, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bbower

bbower DE Bracket

So awhile back the advent of regional tournament registration through the national office was deemed "financially fatal" to askFRED. However, as of today, askFRED seems to be running the same as it ever was. Not only that, askFRED seems to have no issues advertising tournaments that can be only registered through the national office.

So can we conclude that the naysayers were all wrong and regional tournament registration through the national office had little to no impact on askFRED's business?

2. Zebra

Zebra Podium

The organizers are using FRED to promote the tournament, but that's not making any revenue for FRED (other than the revenue they get serving ads alongside tournament listings). When the NO is handling registration, the NO is getting all the fees,

Privateer likes this.
  3. Anotherfencingmom

Anotherfencingmom Made the Cut

If the NO is getting all the fees, how are clubs, which host SYCs, RYCs, RJCCs, ROCs, supposed to make money?

4. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

They (either Fred or the NO) get the service fees from running the registration, not the fees for tournament entry.

Privateer likes this.
  5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Skimming off the top. Got it.
    I liked it better with Peet got the vig, not USFencing. Peet had functionality like removing oneself from an upcoming event.

6. Redblade

Redblade DE Bracket

The USAFencing website designers seem intent to make the system as convoluted and worthless as possible. I started to mumble the phrase, "No way could it get worse," and then realized the universe would accept it as a challenge.

Mac A. Bee likes this.
  7. Privateer

Privateer Podium

We have an RYC (I think) coming up nearby, and some of our fencers didn't see it on askFRED so they didn't know about it until we communicated the change. People posting event 'plugs' on askFRED will probably not last once everyone mentally transitions to usafencing site.

Yes, we all love Peet and askFRED, but from a outside-looking-in perspective, it can seem kind of.. mikey mouse for a large national organization to rely on this hodge podge of distributed services and not having it all in-house, IMO.

8. bbower

bbower DE Bracket

Right, we should all be using XSeed and faxing entry forms to the wrestling office in CO and hope they make it across the hall.

This "hodge podge" of distributed services made life a lot easier for a lot of tournament organizers for a lot of years. It seems kind of "mikey mouse" to me that the national office wasted their dearth of technological innovation on a problem that was already solved, instead of maybe online resources for referee training and development. That's just one example, I'm sure there were dozens of more worthy projects than coming up with AskFred v.01-alpha.

Mac A. Bee, K O'N, SenorEquis and 2 others like this.
  9. jkormann

jkormann Podium

These won't make reliable money for the NO. People will copy and share any of the ref training docs. Charging an "overhead fee" to attend a tournament is a constant revenue stream. Think Ticketmaster.

10. Redblade

Redblade DE Bracket

We should be so lucky to have a Mi(c)key Mouse operation -- Disney puts a lot of money into everything it brands.

Also, I don't know this Peet guy at all, so "love" is a weird assumption to make for us all. On the other hand, askFRED does get the job done with little mess or confusion ... maybe that's a kind of love?

The transition might make more sense if it improved the registration process. How is the organization's control better than what's proven to work through privatization? I really want to know.

K O'N likes this.
  11. Peach

Peach Podium

Peet said in an interview he probably didn’t put together a good enough bid package compared to the people who got the contract, and it’s not unusual* for an outfit to be better at making bids than carrying out what they propose to do.

* common

12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Package shmackage...Peet has a superior and proven product.

InFerrumVeritas and K O'N like this.
  13. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Unfortunately factors such as past performance are often undervalued when reviewing competitive bids.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  14. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Who among us has an advocacy relationship with USA Fencing Member Services Director Bob Bodor and/or Board Liaison Vice President Jeff Salmon? I've already done so through my omnbudsperson.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  15. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Is omnibudsperson a new term? I've always heard ombudsperson, plural ombudspeople.

ReadyFence likes this.
  16. Mac A. Bee

Thank you. Corrected. What was your ombudsperson/Bob's/Jeff's response to your advocacy?

17. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

That's an ombudsperson who only stays at one certain hotel.

jdude97 likes this.
  18. Asibov Sobelo

Asibov Sobelo Made the Cut

I have to say, it really sucks not being able to check RYC, ROC and other results. I miss being able to check on our club mates, friends and other tournaments around the country.

19. Mac A. Bee

See tournament's listing's right hand side's "Important Links" for "Live Results".

20. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Right. so the results are there. but less useful (again) than Fred. I miss being able to search for by a fencer's name to to see all of their tournaments and results.

K O'N, naysayernyc and SenorEquis like this.