Armband Ranking in Canada

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by CheekyCanuck, Oct 6, 2005.

1. CheekyCanuck

CheekyCanuck Rookie

I did a search and didn't see a post on this. My apologies if there is one.

Let’s hear from the Canadians out there.
    We all know the CFF's whish to institute Armbands in every club, but as yet it is not mandatory.
    Has your club picked it up yet?
    Do you like the idea?
    Are there any countries outside of Canada that are currently doing this?

To give you non-Canadian's out there the full picture it is just like belts in Karate.
    Canadian Fencing Federation Documentation

Personally, I don't like it. It will just be another reason to charge members $ for "testing". It is possible for someone to know everything about how to fence, but still be a bad fencer. Our head coach wants to institute this soon. :blah:

kalivor likes this.
  2. keith

keith Rookie

It seems interesting - mainly given that the aim seems to be to develop fencers into coaches.

The stages is of skill development chart is worth nailing to a wall.

What is your problem with it?? It seems slightly more healthy than the Southern Canadians obsession with ratings.

3. CheekyCanuck

CheekyCanuck Rookie

When I was young, my father forced me to join Karate. I hated it. I guess I don't like the association.
    We were charged for "testing" to gain a new belt. (As if it isn't expensive enough)
    The higher belts picked on the lower belts.
    I also guess I'm more of a traditionalist. I don't think of a fencing master as a whatever degree black band. I also think that it is more arbitrary than ratings, not that I'm obsessed. :p

4. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

I could see it could have a real psychological advantage/disadvantage in a tournament setting. Could you ignore a black, brown or blue arm band on your competitor when you’re a white or a yellow?

Knowing someone's ranking is one thing.... having it stare back at you as you attempt to focus on your bout...

5. keith

keith Rookie

well leaving aside the psychological scars.........

I'm not sure that it would be such a big deal at competitions - after all sooner or later you have to learn to just fence the person on the other side, irrespective of FIE gear, bandana, or little coloured bands on their arm......

6. RITFencing

RITFencing Rookie

I'm inclined to agree, although I liked karate when I did it. I like the more casual feel fencing has vs. oriental martial arts, and I don't like how a myriad of ranks can separate fencers, and even drive a wedge between fencers and coaches.

7. veeco

veeco Podium

It's been done in France for a while now, only for kids though, and they love it.

We don't have armbands however, just little tags that you can sew on your jacket.

I don't think there are as many levels as the proposed CFF change, but there is a specific tag for kids who know how to referee well (can't remember what color right now).

The neat stuff about this is that it gives kids an event to look forward to, as they can take the test every year, at the end of the season. And it gives them a good measure of their technical progress, as opposed to how many competitions they won, which at this age isn't really an indication on how well they can fence, despite what many coaches in the US would like parents to think.

8. RITFencing

RITFencing Rookie

At what age do they stop using this system?

9. veeco

veeco Podium

Cadets <characters>

10. Lemberg

Lemberg Rookie

My coach has basically so far ignored the implementation of this thing. I dont hate it, I see the utility for the kids, to give them some extra incentives to learn the various aspects of the sport. Dunno if the adults need it, however... Won't get tested until am required to do so myself.

11. RiseAndFall

RiseAndFall Rookie

...? I didn't have to pay for my testing...

As for the intimidation factor of armbands, if you fence some people that have them you'll soon pick up on the fact that people with much higher level armbands can turn out to be horrible fencers. Some guy with a green who I fenced a while back, he sure knew some advanced techniques and such, much more than what I know, but he couldn't string it all together into a coherent package. Armbands, at least up to green (I haven't seen a single person higher than green), just mean the fencer can demonstrate a few tricks when 1-on-1 with a coach. Maybe at higher levels they mean something, but really, they are no indicator of a tough opponent.

12. Jason

Jason Podium

We use something like this at NAFA. It's a wonderful motivator for the kids and the tests not only measure their progress, but give them various skills, abilities, etc., to focus on developing.
    We don't charge for the tests, however.
    I would also add that our tests are pretty challenging, so when a kid reaches a higher level, he feels a significant sense of accomplishment.

13. OROD

OROD Podium

I think it would be really cool to have armbands to show your rating, no need for any testing or whatnot, just a different color for each USFA rating. It would be an insentive to go to competitions and do well if you know everyone will see your rating when they look at you. It would also be great for spectators to be able to look around and get some information on who's who, and the ratings of people in a bout.

14. Zilverzmurfen

Zilverzmurfen Rookie

We have the same in Sweden for kids/young teens. They can take 'exams' earning a blue or a yellow (different levels of technical knowledge) patch that they can sew onto their off jacket arm.

I suppose it's encouraging, like earning the different belts in judo etc. so I think it's agood thing. :)

15. needle

needle Podium

Different color and size codpieces? :blah:

16. RITFencing

RITFencing Rookie

Wouldn't THAT make nationals interesting.

needle likes this.
  17. glowstix

glowstix DE Bracket

not too off topic but is there good epee fencing in alberta??

18. needle

needle Podium

Well, FIE wants TV appeal, I think this would actually draw more attention than other crap they are trying to pull ;)

RITFencing likes this.
  19. Fencergrl

Fencergrl Rookie

Quite a number of good epee fencers are in Alberta, Glow. The most notable is Sherraine McKay, who came out of Alberta.

Both SJB & Jbirch come to mind as F-Netters that are in that province. Here's the link to the Alberta Fencing Association web site. Alberta Fencing

If you are considering moving there, you might want to choose Calgary over Edmonton. Calgary has a great Epee club and the weather is milder.

20. kalivor

kalivor Podium

Technically, we don't have armbands, either. Just little tags (much like swimming badges) that can be sewn onto jackets.

They're only called "armbands." A more descriptive term would be "fencing badges."