Arizona SYC

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by dogimus, Dec 4, 2018 at 2:52 PM.

1. dogimus

dogimus Rookie

There was a report earlier that this was cancelled. It is listed on the USA fencing website.

Is the tournament back on ?

2. HalfBlue

HalfBlue Made the Cut

I pinged the organizer a month or two back when I noticed it was on the USFA's PDF list of events but not on the registration platform. The organizer told me there had been some mixup with publishing on the USFA site that was in the middle of being corrected but that the event WAS on and was just delayed getting posted to the USFA registration platform.

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Unless it's been moved to another venue, it is not on as the organizer's facility was closed. And I have not heard anything about another suitable venue. I cannot say for sure but I strongly suspect that the event is not happening, at least not here.

There is a new salle which has recently opened in the Phoenix metro area. I will be there tonight and will ask the owners about this as I think it's probably the only place the event could be held.

4. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

From USA Fencing Online Registration:

Bernie Stein Memorial Super Youth Circuit
    Jan 11 - 13, 2019

Venue: American Cultural Academy 7810 S 42nd Place Phoenix, AZ 85042

Regular Entry Fee deadline: December 7th, 2018

However, almost no one has signed up probably because everybody thought it was cancelled. It's usually filled with kids from California. No event has more than 11 entrants.

5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yep, it's happening, same organizer, different location in Phoenix.

6. teacup

teacup Podium

If fencers are going to have to travel more than a couple of hours, they might as well go to the bigger ones, NACs, Capital Clash etc.

Besides parents not being used to having to go to both USA Fencing and AskFred* for local and regional events, the downloadable regional calendar from the USA Fencing website not being updated could add to the confusion.

*division JO qualifiers and local events are still on AskFRED.