Are there no good questions left?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, May 19, 2014.

1. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

I logged onto f.net tonight, read through the armory questions and just asked myself: why?

Have we lost sight to what armory is or have we all just become the keepers of information of the thinnest plastrons out there?

I am really not looking for a response to this thread, just can't wrap my head around the thought that there are some really good armorer's that come to this site and there are little to no Armory questions and I just don't get it!

I guess fencers either: don't have any good questions left or they have all been answered?

Maybe one day, someone will ask:
    Why is my foil tip stuck in the barrel or
    Is there really a wrong side to wind a contact spring to the post or
    What is the washer there for on a blade socket or
    How in the heck do you correctly balance a blade.

Come'on, we need something juicy outside of: I am comparing this glove to that glove,,,thoughts and explain please???

Am I the only one out there that feels this way or is my A.D.D. just kicking in? I'm going to get killed over that comment: Here is your chance sharp shooters.

Lets kick it up about 9 1/2 notches. This is boring enough to say: headed to bed.

Gary Spruill

2. Palisadeur

Palisadeur Made the Cut

I feel your pain Gary, really I do.
    I'm just back from a large F.n hiatus and had that exact same reaction.
    Hence my tongue-in-cheek response to the plastron query.

Here's one (and yes, it's legit 'cos it drives me batty) to try and help restore the balance:
    When building an epée wire - that is; getting the wires and mounting them into the plastic head bitty with the teeny contact pins - how do you stop the insulation unravelling further from where you've made bare the end of the wire to ensure proper contact with the pin?

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Would a mail lamé pass weapons control? :jester:

4. posineg

posineg DE Bracket

might depend on the link size :mutant:

5. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

Questions about 1930's technology can only be pushed so far.

6. piste off

piste off Podium

I think if you easily blow off a question like what is a light plastron (or if you don't see the value in that), then maybe your attention to detail is not at the level it needs to be to be a good armourer.

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Do Jedi wear light plastrons?

8. piste off

piste off Podium

Yes. The old Triplette ones that are slightly thicker than a Hefty bag. Just enough to pass inspection...

9. fencerken

fencerken Made the Cut

ok here is a good question what is the copper strand count and poly urethane thickness of an LP body cord and can something similar be had domestically?

10. Blackwood

Blackwood DE Bracket

What do you mean? An African or European LP body cord?

Sorry for the interruption, we now return you to the armory thread in progress.

11. fencerken

fencerken Made the Cut

Blackwood I don't understand your reply. African or European? Are not all LP bodycords the same. I can't see why they would have different thickness and wire strands for European, African or North American or even south American. Please qualify?

12. Blackwood

Blackwood DE Bracket

Sorry. Obscure Monty Python reference. Please ignore and forgive my interruption.

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

No no...I think the rest of us got it!

For those who didn't...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIlW-ovx0Y

Roset828 likes this.
  14. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Well, you have to know these things when your an armorer, you know.

If I recall correctly the strand count is on the order of 3, and the polyurethane thickness is roughly the equivalent to 18 gauge stranded wire.

I believe the cable is custom made for Leon Paul so unless you can find someone who is trying to put together a special order (which usually requires a minimum run measured in thousands of feet) you're probably out of luck as far as finding a domestic supplier is concerned.

15. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

The plastron statement I made was meant as a METAPHOR or did your detail not get that? Maybe I should have used the metaphor of JOCK STRAP questions instead??? Or is Jock strap too much to put in this context?

That sounds way too much like a challenge to me. You sure you wanna go there? For real?

My detail? Are you sure?

I am going to slow this down and take it like: you really did not mean to question my ability and detail as a good armorer. OK?

I do this for a living - please be careful. I take/took this statement personally.

Note: I put my name on everything I write: so here it is:

Gary Spruill

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  16. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

I totally understand

Gary Spruill

17. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Barry had that wire made up and took him a long time to do so. The secret sauce is the type of poly coating on it. That stuff lasts forever. Heck, I would not even want to try and have it made here in the US. There would be samples sent, then meetings upon meetings only to tell you, well, its gonna run $22 a foot. If you cant tell, I have tried to have something similar made here in the US by multi companies. I spoke to Alex about this wire one time and gotta tell you, outside of the Negrini wire (my opinion), that is some of the best stuff on the planet. Thin, strong and lasts forever. Yes, Alex, I see you reading this and I said it! Great stuff. :) Hope the new baby is doing great. Cheers!

After thinking about this: you know, Sam aka Purple Fencer had some wire like this made up that was really close. If your interested, give him a shout out and he might put you in the right direction. His stuff was really good! One day, you have to ask Sam about the 2 prong connector he invented. I still stand by my statement: Its the best 2 prong connector I have seen.

Gary Spruill

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  18. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I recently bought from you some of that Negrini wire you speak of. I'm going to rewire several of my body cords. Many of them have the FWF plug pins that feature a screw with limited travel which doesn't go far enough into the pin body to reliably hold wire that isn't doubled over itself. Would you recommend that I continue doubling over the wire or would you recommend I attempt to tin the ends that go into each plug pin? If you recommend tinning, do you have a favorite trick for doing that which doesn't threaten melting that soft insulation?

19. fencerken

fencerken Made the Cut

I agree that it is great stuff. the poly outside is list butter, and the strand count is very high I would say on the order of 150+ strands. That is why it is so flexible and strong. I did some quick research awhile ago and the only thing I found that was remotely close was 120+ strand count but it had to be ordered online. Sometimes you just want to go down the hardware store and actually feel the material. Any way I would have thought that you guys(the pros) would have figured it out, reverse engineered it x86 cloned it by now.(reference to the original IBM x86 computers and all the knock-offs that came after it)

20. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Everything I say is my opinion below: gotta say this, we have some sensitive folks on this thread right now.

Negrini wire with FWF plugs, OK,

Always tin. I have a story to tell and will get to it later,

With Negrini wire, you have 7 strains of copper clad steel, then 47 strains of copper braided around the copper clad. Once you cut the insulation back to the length you want, get your solder gun hot, twist the wire to its thinnest point. Dip it in some good flux, take/put a small amount of solder on your tip to your solder gun, then go underneath the wire with it. Allow it to touch, looks like a small puddle under it. Now, with your solder wire, touch the wire and watch is sickle all the way up. Release everything. If you have too much solder on it, go back under neath it and let it warm back up and just flick it and watch all the excess solder fly off (you also should duck). Now you have a perfect tinned wire for the pin.

Opinion: when you tighten down the pin screw on an un tinned wire, what happens??? The wires get spread out right? Over time, they get loose and when that happens, you gotta go back and do it again. Now, if you have a tinned wire, and tighten down the pin screws, you have a solid connection that (texan) aint going nowhere! there is your reason and your answer.

Story time: I did/do sponsor a college team. My wanna be part time armorers keep putting the loose wires in the pins in body cords (was just easier to do so) and I asked them to stop doing it that way. I got them a haaco soldering iron and gave them instruction on how to us it. I came back several weeks later and guess what, they felt they knew better, they are college kids, so one Saturday we all got together and had a body cord party. We took around 150 body cords apart and tinned every one of them and put them back together. They are all now experts on how to put a body cord together correctly. Most of them, well all of them graduated long ago, several of them are still fencers and they still come to me and remind me of that wonderful Saturday event we had. They also tell me, they still tin every wire to every body cord they work on. Go figure.

Gary Spruill