Are the 2018-2019 NAC dates available yet?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by SevenDad, Feb 23, 2018.

1. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

IIRC, USA Fencing had published a 2-year calendar...but perhaps that was for 2016-7/2017-18?

If anyone knows of one, I'd appreciate a link. And yes, I searched the USA Fencing site and tried to Google it already.

2. mfp

mfp Podium

The proposed 2018-2019 NAC dates are included in the USA Fencing Event Bid Packet for 2018-2021.

3. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

4. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. Zebra

Zebra Podium

How about sites? Have any of our fearless detectives checked convention center schedules around those dates?

6. mfp

mfp Podium

The October 18 NAC is listed on the Wisconsin Center website. (Though the listing oddly includes 2016 in the URL)

ReadyFence likes this.
  7. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Question- what exactly is the "Elite Championships?" Is that the Div 1 National Championship? Rebranding makes it better! ;)

And how can someone have been awarded a contract for a NAC if the dates aren't set? I do contracts for big events as part of my job, and you can't contract for space without firm dates.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  8. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I was bored so I did a little snooping. USFA says that Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and SN have been awarded. These convention centers do NOT have a NAC listed on their calendars-

Columbus
    Dallas
    Detroit
    St. Louis
    Kansas City
    Memphis
    Salt Lake City

These convention centers don't show events on calendar that far out-

Richmond
    Anaheim
    Portland
    San Jose
    Virginia Beach
    Baltimore
    Cleveland

I think that covers everywhere we've been the last two seasons, so your guess is as good as mine!

Chauffeur likes this.
  9. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

My guess is that the whole list is being held up until the date and location are nailed down for March of 2019. The 2016-7 NACs were announced Valentine's Day 2016, but 2017-18 were held up for several more weeks. I feel like I remember that all the locations were posted and discussed here and sniffed out via convention center stalking, but it was not until St. Louis was signed/sealed that a press release was made.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  10. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The only reason why people are interested in location now is so that they can complain about one or all of them.

1) Competitions shouldn't be held east of the Rockies between November and April because of possible snow storms.
    2) Competitions shouldn't be held in Texas or any state with open-carry because of the mass shooting that caused events at the Summer Nationals to be canceled in Dallas two summers ago.
    3) Competitions shouldn't be held in Colorado or Arizona because of the high altitude.
    4) Competitions shouldn't be held in states that have anti-LGBT laws
    5) Competitions shouldn't be held in states that have racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination laws.
    6) Competitions shouldn't be held on the West Coast because of the possibility of earthquakes and air pollution caused by wildfires.
    7) Competitions shouldn't be held in any city that doesn't have cheap and frequent direct flights from every other airport in the US.
    8) Competitions shouldn't be held at any venue that doesn't have numerous cheap hotels and gourmet dining establishments within walking distance.
    9) Competitions shouldn't be held at any venue unless the hotels near the venue have free parking and are within just a few miles of the airport in case a taxi needs to be taken.

Hopefully, when the locations are finally posted, people can just put one or more of the above numbers next to the location rather than having to type out the entire protest, objection, grievance, quibble, or complaint.

11. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Actually, no. :)

I am interested because I juggle lots of different schedules and the earlier I can plan the season, the better. Sorry that’s not negative or complain-y enough.

And since Phoenix is only at about 1,000 feet above sea level, I don’t see anyone complaining about lack of oxygen!

12. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I chortled at that one as well. ( A better objection might be that there is often too much dust in that oxygen. ) :)

Also, one might argue that Texas is too pervaded with firearms generally, but it's not open carry that had anything to do with Dallas.

ReadyFence likes this.
  13. teacup

teacup Podium

Haha, you missed:
    11) Competitions shouldn't be held in states affected by hurricanes during hurricane season.

14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Don't #4 and #5 cover those?

kmecke and ReadyFence like this.
  15. neevel

neevel Armorer

So basically, NACs should be held in the location that maximizes my convenience and desires, and my convenience and desires alone, and I'm going to hold my breath until I get it.

jdude97 likes this.
  16. mfp

mfp Podium

Hence Milwaukee this October:

USA Fencing 2018 October North American Cup

17. neevel

neevel Armorer

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

No, no, no. Mine, not yours. :)

ReadyFence likes this.
  19. dberke