April NAC 2019 SLC

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Feb 25, 2019.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Just checked Sunday 2/24/2019, and the Athlete Packet still does not have close of check-in times. Usually it doesn't matter to me as I always stay over but this time I've got people in SLC and a guess as when Sunday's VET Open will start would be helpful. Anyone have a clue as to when they (the NO) will post times?

Oh, and a minor issue, Google maps seems to refuse to acknowledge that SLC has light rail, TRAX, and so when public transportatiion is clicked on it chooses to first display bus routes (5+hours airport to downtown). Workaround is to look for the grayed out direct path and click on it. Minor but irritating. BTW, last time we found the Green line was very quick and comfortable ride to a block or so from the venue. Price is $1.25 for 65 and over else $2.50. And there is a free zone around downtown.

2. dberke

dberke Podium

Event closing times are posted about a week after the regular fee entry deadline. Since that isn't until February 27th, the times should be posted around March 6th.

Dan

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yeah, it's always this way.

4. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The default is "leave now" and so if you asked for directions at a time when TRAX is not running, it would not show that as an option. Try changing "leave now" to your planned day-of-week and time of arrival. If that doesn't work, check your "Options" and make sure you haven't checked just "bus" for "route options". Leave all of them unchecked.

Chauffeur likes this.
  5. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

Very much this. The Green/704 train is the only option it gave me when I used the public transit option just now. It's a great system and an easy/cheap trip into downtown from the airport.

Don't forget that SLC city blocks for some reason are 2 normal city blocks. It may not be a big deal in April but when I was out there for two weeks in June of 2015, their hottest summer in something like 100 years, it made an ordeal out of a three block walk to get dinner.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Thanks for the clues guys. Like I said it usually doesn't make any difference to me about when they post the hours. And I'll be looking at my google maps settings to sort that.

7. teacup

teacup Podium

While allowing all cadets and juniors that have national rolling points to qualify for the Div I Championships has its merits, it does little to encourage fencers in their early twenties to return or continue fencing, which some could argue, could help senior international epee performance as epee fencers, especially males, tend to peak in their mid to late twenties.
    And wasn't there a goal of reducing the size of national events?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Shhh! Don't remind them.

9. HalfBlue

HalfBlue Made the Cut

Heard from a clubmate who went to the March NAC that start times for that NAC weren't announced until about 2 weeks before the event. I feel like I must have misheard though bc that sounds way late. Does anyone know what the March timelines were?

10. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I believe that the check-in times are posted up to a week after the LATE FEE entry deadline because they need to know the sizes of the events in order to know how many pistes are needed for each event. If the combined number of pools for two events that overlap exceeds the number of available pistes by even one, chaos results.
    (P.S. Don't post "Well, why don't they just use last year's entry sizes?" because there are almost a dozen reasons why that doesn't work.)

11. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Well, it's March 8th and the schedule hasn't been posted. The athete's packet says Check-in is posted 1-2 weeks after February 27 the Regular Entry Fee Deadline which makes it March 13. According to Acientepee, it will be March 20th as Late Fee deadline is March 13. Any other guesses?

12. dberke

dberke Podium

I would expect the times to be posted by Wednesday. That's still within the 2-week posting window.

Dan

HalfBlue likes this.
  13. RunAmok

RunAmok Rookie

And it's the 15th and still no check-in times. Just sayin.

CBS likes this.
  14. HalfBlue

HalfBlue Made the Cut

In fairness to the USFA apparently they were completely shut down yesterday due to blizzard-related power outages.....

15. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

Since they should have been up by Wednesday I find a Thursday blizzard a less than entirely satisfactory explanation. But hopefully they will dig out and get busy posting check-in times ASAP.

CBS likes this.
  16. HalfBlue

HalfBlue Made the Cut

17. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Early start only on Monday, for the Open Vet Sabre. Otherwise 1 pm and 11 am. Sweet.

19. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The late fee entry deadline was two days ago (Wednesday). Just thought I'd point that out.