Anyone interested 30s

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by 40lbsheavier, Mar 15, 2015.

1. 40lbsheavier

40lbsheavier Rookie

Why isn't there a VET 30s

First let me say I searched just encase this has been addressed but the search says the VET and Veterans abd every things else are too common. After fencing in a Div 2 qualifier and taking second and a few other local tournaments, I have come to realize that fencing teens in multiple rounds of DEs gets "old" quickly. I assume that most of us in our mid 30s with families and jobs don't have time to train and condition 5 days a week. Some of the most competitive people in my club are vets but those extra 5 points make a huge difference. Yesterday my semi litterally lasted 29 minutes from begunning to end. In finals I was just tryin breath. @ 12 - 13 I was finished and this was a small tournament. I'm just wondering why hasn't there been a VET 30 catagory created? Why not expand 40 to Vet 35? I was actually considering going to Summer Nationals but after 4 DEs yesterday (of which 2 were cake walks) and the aches today. There's no way I could muster the endurance for a large event against kids that are going to run and gun from start to stop.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. iktovian

iktovian Made the Cut

you could check out the masters games- some masters games have a fencing event.

3. sdubinsky

sdubinsky DE Bracket

There isn't a vet30s because people in their 30s regularly and consistently win and place highly in national and international tournaments.

4. Peach

Peach Podium

I suggest doing some cross-training. Weights, aerobic, drills & task-bouting at the club will go a long way toward building your endurance.

I was competitive in opens (medaled in WS III, II, IA and I, albeit in a field that was still developmental) in my 40s, and continued to win other events in my 50s and 60s, and that's what I did. When I stopped having time for cross-training, my results didn't suffer much, but my joints did. I'm concentrating on cross-training again to make up for it.

5. Montoya

Montoya DE Bracket

My feelings exactly. I am in my fifties and while my stamina is definitely suffering in this decade I was very competitive against much younger fencers through my forties. You don't need another event - you need to get in shape for the events you are fencing now.

6. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Aches and pains aside the OP actually asked:
    My understanding there is that our NGB follows in some fashion the FIE lead with regard to age delimited events. Though I have wondered about VET 40 as there is no FIE World Championship Division for the 40's. And there has been some commentary that the VET 40 hasn't been included due to scheduling, venue sizes and other supposed practicalities. So I guess you'll have to get in line for inclusiveness for 30's.

7. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I'd be just as happy if they didn't have a Vet40 category. I'm not old.

I'll let you know when it happens, but it's not right now.

8. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

And here we thought that the small size of the VET 40 events was due to there not being a World Championship event. In truth you guys are just in denial. Why not take a note from Richard Cohen and embrace your VETness?:mutant:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  9. jkormann

jkormann Podium

You're not helping..

He did write a good book.

10. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

(A very low and soft) heh heh heh. Just taking a page from Inq.

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Just think of the moaning and teeth-gnashing from BC staff at the prospect of adding yet another event...

12. Dev

Dev DE Bracket

The weapon you're fencing is also a factor.

Epee is going to be a little friendlier to a "Vet-30" fencer, while men's foil will be significantly less kind.

13. rudd

rudd Podium

Foil should start with a Vet-23. :)

14. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

There are no Vet 30 *National/International* events. But there's nothing that says that an organization can't request a Restricted event/tournament to be Sanctioned. You could set the minimum requirements as "age 30 and up", etc. It's really just about a motivated entity deciding they want to hold such an event/tournament.

15. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

For what it's worth, Italy has a veterans fencing circuit with 30-39 (cat 0), 40-49 (cat I), 50-59 (cat II), 60-69 (cat III), and 70+ (cat IV) age groups.

B

16. abouttothunder

abouttothunder Made the Cut

Last November, Brooklyn Fencing Center ran an Over 20 and an Over 30. They were unsanctioned but good training.

17. bmoney

bmoney Made the Cut

yeah i wouldnt mind a vet 30. Ill be 31 this year but I can still hang with the younger kids.

18. Zebra

Zebra Podium

What you're talking about is "adult" competition. In figure skating, it starts at 21 (though most of the competitors are 30 and up), with subsequent age brackets (at least for sectionals and nationals) at 35, 45, 55, and 65. International adult starts at 28.

USGA (golf) has a "mid-amateur" championship where competitors must be 25 or older, thereby keeping out the college kids who dominate the US Amateur. That might be the closest analogue to what "40" suggested.

19. CrestonB

CrestonB Podium

It sounds like a fitness issue your suffering. I know I am not as fit as I was in my 20s, yet I can still out last a lot of the 'younger-folk'.....key words 'a lot'. Not all, but a fair number. As others have stated, time spent doing cardio training and weight training will yield good results. I find it very difficult to find time to 'train' off strip, but if you want the results, you have to be willing to carve out time in other places on your schedule to do the training you require to get the results you want. Take a look at this.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsm-QbN9r8&index=1&list=PLCDAFCDA2CA0AD83C

and best of luck

20. Privateer

Privateer Podium

Rule #1 of zombieland - cardio.
    When I got in better cardio shape, my fencing became easier. I wasn't any faster or better, but I didn't feel like I was having a heart attack through the last 1/2 of a bout.

But yes, I can completely commiserate about fencing 'youngins.' I held my own sunday against the vet-aged, but the late-teens are so fast and athletic I could barely react before before they hit me were back at their en garde line.