any risk of pain when poked with an epee?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by onguard-2020, Oct 1, 2017.

1. onguard-2020

onguard-2020 Rookie

Is there any risk of pain when poked with an epee? I had my first lesson last week and only played 1 point but I wasn't overly aggressive because I wasn't sure if there was any risk of pain when forcefully poked with the epee. I'm sure I'll get a better sense of this as I get more experience but would the worst case be equivalent to someone aggressively poking you with their finger if you weren't wearing any padding? Or would it be less than that? Another frame of reference would be, is it possible to get bruised by the epee when wearing FIE protective clothing, for someone with normal bruising tendency?

2. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Yes, you will get bruises. Especially as a novice, when you don't have a good grasp of proper distance.

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

A FIE uniform won't protect you from bruising. some people (both men and women) opt to wear a hard plastic protective chest protector underneath their jackets. For women and kids, it's mandatory in sanctioned competition.

[​IMG]

A part of learning to fence is to avoid getting hit why being in close enough to score touches.

4. rudd

rudd Podium

It's a combat sport. You will get hurt. You will get bruises. That said, in comparison to a lot of other sports and almost all other combat sports or martial arts, the pain and bruising is very minor.

Gav and jdude97 like this.
  5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

After a while you'll be able to look at a bruise and identify when, where, how, who your opponent was, and if you got the touch or not.

We stab and smack each other with metal rods for fun....it IS gonna hurt some times.

jdude97 likes this.
  6. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I am probably one of the wimpiest guys around when it comes to pain tolerance but I've been fencing for over a decade and have bruises have not been a significant issue. Yes, you get them, most often on your arm, sometimes on your pecs or upper legs, but they're rarely deep bruises, often for me at least don't even show (unfortunately some might say -- no war wounds!), and tend to go away within a few days.

7. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Chest protectors are compulsory for women and optional for men (cf m.25.4.c). There's no rule requiring them for "kids."

B

Gav likes this.
  8. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

Apparently Canadian youth competitions require it.

To OP:
    In 14 years, I've only had two impact related injuries, a bruised rib and a bruised collar bone. Both were pretty extreme circumstances (broken blade and a bell guard from a person who shouldn't have been fencing, respectively).

9. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Speaking from recent personal experience, cups are desirable when fencing some folks. In 20 years of fencing I've had two blows to the genitals. The first I wasn't aware of until I got home and unrobed in my own bedroom. This latest incident, a week ago, caused immediate pain and actually broke the skin. When I say pain it was immediate and sharp but did not take me out of the bout. My personal issue is the tradeoff between the potential pain of a misplaced thrust vs the chafing caused by wearing a cup. It's your choice but I suspect two blows in 20 years is statistically a minor risk. But as always YMMV.

10. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I very strongly recommend that men wear a cup, and think not doing so is silly. Get a good fitting pair of compression shorts with the pocket or jock strap and you're fine. You really stop noticing it's there.

posineg likes this.
  11. Gav

Gav Moderator!!

I get my kids to wear chest protectors when they're fencing epee. Just wear one and stop talking about it.
    If you have a groin protector then wear that too.

12. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

Tall Épéeists--well, most guys, really--hit hard.

My advice: get super, super good at fast footwork in/out, setting up an attack, and hitting hard back.

(you don't actually NEED to hit hard. But people are going to do it anyway. So that's my passive-aggressive answer.)

13. EspadaMK

EspadaMK Made the Cut

Yes, it will sometimes hurt, not always, and mostly not for long. Still I take protection quite seriously and wear a chest guard, a box (cup), and a shin guard on top of all the legal requirements and would advise anyone else to do so to. Even a hit to the ribs which can be a distraction if the pain persists more than a couple of seconds so best to minimise the damage.

14. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I've generally heard over the years including in a referee seminar that chest protectors are required for all fencers in Y10 events, but I can't find any cite for that. So not true?

15. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

Not true.

jdude97 likes this.
  16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Might be a local division rule....like the no fleche one in the NJ scholastic league.

17. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

I didn't think divisions had the authority to make up rules regarding those aspects of fencing if the tournament is run as a USFA sanctioned event.

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

There is however a lot of pain involved in watching epee.

( Come on, it was only a matter of time. )

erik_blank and RebelFencer like this.
  19. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

What took you so long??

20. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

One does wonder how long you could hold off. ;)