Another Chest Protector Retrofit question......

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by ktinoue3, Sep 27, 2018.

1. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Was searching in the other threads but couldn't find an answer to this. One of the foil fencers in my club wears hub caps. Her answer to soft padded chest protector requirement was to buy one of these retrofit kits, attach an elastic strap to it and wear it under her plastron outside of her shirt. My gut feeling says this wouldn't be allowed since the foam isn't attached to the hub caps but It would cover the area facing the fencer where the hubcaps are.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. brtech

brtech Podium

You are correct. The soft covering must be "attached" to the BP itself. Like many rules, you have to follow the rule, not just the intent of the rule.

3. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

What you need is a glue gun, two layers of craft foam from Michael's or JoAnn (or other craft store), scissors and patience. I glued two layers of 2mm craft foam (available for 99 cents a 12x18 sheet from Michael's) and fiddled around until I found a way to cut an appropriately sized circle that accounted for the change in depth of the hubcap. Cut slits to accommodate those depth changes and went at it with my glue gun. Repeat until 2 layers are on each hub cap. My creation was certified as acceptable by the armorers at Summer Nationals and has been used at 3 tournaments (including an ROC) since Sept. 1. Total cost was about $5 - I had a few mis-steps creating the pattern. Message me privately if you would like dimensions and photos of what I did along with a good email address. Total time to create this once I found the right dimensions was about 35 minutes. I wear mine in a two layer sports bra - below shirt and plastron.

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

What about modifying the padded cover to add pockets on the back side for the hubcaps? Add a velcro closure and they aren't going anywhere.

Sew the whole thing to a bra and you're done.

5. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

I'm not sure that the protectors covers that are sold to retrofit with can be washed, so attaching to a bra would not be the best idea until you can confirm they can be washed.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

A fair point....but at least the wearer could ensure they seat properly on her chest.