Android referee app recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Maggie, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Maggie

Maggie Made the Cut

Finally got a smart phone. What referee app do you folks recommend for android?

2. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

I have to grudgingly give my vote to Ripost. This is by far the best that I have seen for the Android devices, but still has a long road to go to match my favorite Palm Pilot application PalmFencer. Ripost does a good job of tracking time and individual bout scores, but does not have an internal pool sheet for the referee. There is an Apple product (FencingRef) that I keep hoping will be ported over to the Android platform, but so far there is no posted notice that they are making one.

There is a new person in the marked that is making a multi-application for the PC/Android system QuickPoul (See their web site here: http://betton.escrime.free.fr/index.php/description) that is supposed to automate a lot of the score keeping for a tournament by creating full pool sheets and allowing people to scan in QR codes to grab the full score sheets and transmit them back to the bout committee when the pool is done. Unfortunatley it is geared to FIE systems and is not translating USFA ratings very well... so I have not had a good chance to test it yet.

3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

As an aside anyone know of decent strip management software? Not Fencing Time which does score recording etc. But an application (probably desk or lap top) that can apportion strips among events based on number of fencers, referees available using basic assumptions as to amount of time needed at various levels (pools, DE's). Be nice to have a piece of software to help do this task. Doing it in my head and making multiple passes is tedious and giving me visual miagraines staring at the spread sheet.

4. wahrman

wahrman DE Bracket

I did get part way into making riposte run a pool but android at the time was so fragmented that trying to make the UI sensible on the variety of devices made my brain hurt. Now I'd try again since I could safely target 4.x+ but life got in the way and I don't even get to fence anymore.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  5. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Bummer - when life finally settles down, and you get to fence again, let us know it you start working on this project again.

6. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

Is there any chance that you could coordinate with another coder on this board to complete the project? I am completely clueless in coding, so no help there, but surely there are others that have the skills and are willing to work with you? We really need a good full scoring /pool application, preferably one that can link in with FencingTime so that the whole thing can be as automated as possible. While the VSM system is a great idea, and I understand that the writer of that application is working on integrating his system with FencingTime, not everyone has a VSM system, and MANY people have smart phones.

7. wahrman

wahrman DE Bracket

Probably not. The code is a mess as it kinda grew organically. It was never meant to be as feature rich as it is. The "right" thing to do is a complete rewrite.

I've been talking to FT's author and have all the info I need to link them up if and when.

The good news is, android has really moved away more or less from the lower end phones so I can target an S4 and nexus 7 and get pretty good coverage.

We should open a new thread to discuss the preferred UI for this.

8. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

Fencing Mate

9. wahrman

wahrman DE Bracket

I hadn't seen Fencing Mate before, it must be quite new.
    The layout looks pretty sensible and that's 3/4th the battle in a ref's app.

Plus the author is from Yorkshire.

10. just_some_guy

just_some_guy Made the Cut

11. Dev

Dev DE Bracket

I use Riposte, because running the pool from your phone is wildly overrated. Fencers are used to the pool being run from the sheet, and the sheet is the most easily accessible source of truth for what's going on in the pool.

Riposte works very well for tracking your bout and the interface is uncluttered and intuitive.

12. MBalderson

MBalderson Made the Cut

Yeah, but what makes you the expert? It's not like you ref events from the local to international level while also working at one of the biggest tech companies in the world.

Oh, right, that's exactly what you do.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  13. wahrman

wahrman DE Bracket

I pushed versions 0.40 and 0.41 of riposrte over the past few days but some people aren't getting the update. Has anyone here not gotten 0.41?

14. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

I just re-installed from Google play services and got version .38, there were no updates available...

15. wahrman

wahrman DE Bracket

What version of android? Less then 3.0?

There have been a few points where I've had to cut off older versions to get new features to work.

16. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

Gunn... I guess that I need a new phone... I only have version 2.3... :-(

17. wahrman

wahrman DE Bracket

I did a quick test, I think I can get 2.3+ up to date except the "Custom Bout" will not work. But that probably wasn't in 0.38 anyway. Do you have a "Bout Type" of "Custom" in that version?

There will probably also be some layout bugs on some devices. I'd hate to replace someone's prefectly working 0.38 with a broken 0.42.

Google's stats tell me that 826 or 15% of Riposte users are using 2.3.x.

18. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

yes, I do have a "custom" option right now. I seems to work right now for setting number of touches... is it supposed to ask about number of periods also?

19. wahrman

wahrman DE Bracket

Ahh, that's right. On 3.0+ I added time and period options. Those bits need some things that aren't in 2.x.
    I can probably just disable those parts on 2.x.

20. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

usefulness?

Perhaps I'm spoiled as our club uses VSM systems, but after trying a few of these "apps" I have to wonder where they would be useful and under what circumstances. The scoring apps I have downloaded and tried are pretty cool and I found them easy to use. I can see using one of these if you only have a very "barebones" scoring machine that does not show time, score, cards, names, etc., but other than that, where is the usefulness? Having all of the information in the referees hands (literally) without external display sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Examples: The score is wrong, the clock is not stopped or started, a card or penalty is placed incorrectly. Without these things being displayed for all to see, I don't think it is wise for tournament organizers to allow their use as an exact measure of what is or has happened. If these apps are being used in conjunction to personnel that run a clock and write down the score on a score sheet and push buttons to display the score, the time, etc., then again, what is the value? One other thing that has occurred to me is what happens if the battery runs out during a match? The apps then must be used (or perhaps they already are) in conjunction with other methods of recording.

The android app used for VSM (which only works with a VSM system on a WiFi network) is basically a repeat of the scoreboard with the ability to act as a touchscreen remote control. It doesn't just record things, it controls the scoring machine. It displays, names, cards, time, score, everything the VSM system does, in the hands of the referee; and of course for all to see, in real time, on the scoreboard/monitor and on the android phone app. The program for VSM saves constantly. In the unlikely event of a loss of power, VSM will return to it's previous state including all the previously mentioned displayed information. The tournament version of VSM when you have uploaded a pool (through Fencing Time) into the computer, displays (via scrolling) the names of the "on deck fencers" when one of the fencers reaches 3 touches. This is displayed on the monitor and the the referee's android app. Rather slick by comparison and because of the safeguards, much more resistant to human or technical (kick out the power cord) errors. Referees make errors. So let's say the referee accidentally resets the time or score or does a "global" reset. You just press the "UNDO" button and everything returns to it's previous state. We keep USB power adapters plugged into our VSM computers to charge/recharge android devices. We started out with RF and IR remotes and still have them if a phone goes down or runs out of power.