And now for something new and different......

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Mergs, May 28, 2018.

1. Mergs

Mergs Podium

In all my time with fencing, I have never seen this! 20180527_174653.jpg
    This WAS a brand-new mask punch. Not only did the volunteer destroy the punch, but also managed to wreck the mask they were checking. Amazing.

2. Mergs

Mergs Podium

And I might add, I was not in charge of this group! ;)

3. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

Good Heavens! Where was that, and who was supposed to be in charge?

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

I've seen worn mandrels get bent like that, but not a new one.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Oh dear Lord...

Obviously, no one with any shred of knowledge told that person how to do the test.

6. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Actually, the person in charge DID tell them how to do the test - correctly, I might add - they obviously decided to do it differently.

As for where and who was in charge, that is irrelevant.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

That's even worse....

8. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

It is bad enough when the equipment fails because it has fatigued from use, but prying the punch under the mesh is tragic.
    I have an Uhlman punch and the tip is starting to wear. What do experienced armorers do when that happens? Do you smooth it out? Can you buy a replacement tip?

(Also...I live in the Northeast and have some free time I'd like to fill, if anyone knows of a tournament that needs help)

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Uhlmann sells a replacement mandrel, although it's likely to be a special order item for most vendors.

10. jkormann

jkormann Podium

To be fair, the general-use instructions are not to twist. They didn't say anything about wrenching or prying.

11. brtech

brtech Podium

Swordmasters usually has it. I've gotten it from Absolute also.

12. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I think using the right technique to test a mask is the key. Some people like to hold the mask against their body and use the punch. After about 30 to 40 masks, your arms can get tired if you're not used to doing this sort of task. The end result can be what happened in the picture above.

I like to put the mask on the table and then apply the mask punch using my arm and the weight of my body.to compress the punch.

Believe it or not, I find that using a mask punch on a lightweight mask is more difficult because of the thinner mesh material. The lighter mesh will tend to flex a bit like a spring before the mask punch starts to compress. IMHO, the easiest mask to test is the Leon Paul X-Change. Their mask is so rigid, it doesn't flex at all and all of your energy goes into compressing the mask punch.

BTW, I always have a spare punch mandrel in my tool case. I've heard the stories of someone dropping their mask punch on the floor and breaking off the tip.

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah...the X-Change pretty much laughs at the punch (although I DID fail one with the punch when we worked San Jose SN a few years back)

Fortunately that hasn't happened to me, although it HAS to people running checks at other events I've vended. Like you, I have an extra mandrel floating around just in case.

I've never broken the one on my punch...have replaced it a couple of times due to wear over the years, tho.

14. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

A funny, but not funny story
    College group, checking all equipment before a swifa event.
    Walked into the break room, kids in the break room were using "my" personal mask punch to break up ice on a table.
    That dumb a$$ kid, got an ear pull and a slap on the back of the head. Pay all that money to send these kids to college and they forget how to tie their shoe laces. OMG!
    Yes, I want to say I have a couple of them left. Have ordered them and its a hit or miss with Uhlmann, click here

15. jkormann

jkormann Podium

That's pretty good. I had someone at a univ "testing" plastrons with one once.
    One didn't pass, but he said it took effort. He stopped after that one thankfully.

Edit: Yours is a better story, but figured I'd share from PA.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    twisterfencing likes this.
  16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Oh...my...God!

And you let him live??

17. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

I once had a Leon Paul owner (who was adamant that an Fie mask shouldn't be punched) who thought it would be funny to walk up to my table saying "I guess you want to punch my mask", as he grabbed my punch and "tomahawked" his mask several times with it. He was laughing hysterically until I reached for my black card. I didn't card him, but to this day he will wave people ahead of him in line rather than come to me for gear check.

18. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

I also had a true ditzy female try using my punch to remove inspection flags from her body cords...

19. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

So what happened with the mask? Did your volunteer have to pay to replace it? I would have been pi---er, irate if it was my mask he destroyed. He might have wound up in small claims court. Or the People's Court. Or something.

Safe Sport! Safe Sport! :D

20. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Same thing, basically....the People's Court and similar shows are judged arbitration, but the cases are pulled from actual small claims filings.

I was on the Judge Brown show a few years back over a destroyed laptop. Judge Judy's set was right next door,.