After 20 years, new weapon... need advice!

Discussion in 'New to Fencing' started by jp-epee, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jp-epee

jp-epee Rookie

I'm new on this forum; and I guess I am new to the sport. The experience I had with fencing was: two years of foil almost 20 years ago... I did some competitions... really enjoyed it and I am very excited to be back.

I found a team of former university fencers, and we will train in Epee. Training starts in January 2018. I am worried because they were all university level fencers (they each had different weapons).

I would like to know if you have any advice on training I could do on my own to improve. And, also what I need to concentrate on at first.

Any advice for me?

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Yes, but you won't like it and should probably ignore it...

It is this: run as far away from epee as you can, as fast as you can. That is, if you are still able to run instead of just bouncing. :)

Black Widow likes this.
  3. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

Ignore Inq.

Focus on two things when you're starting back up: footwork and point control. If you have those, the rest is easier to pick up.

4. robert

robert Made the Cut

Be realistic about goals and ensure you have fun.

The fact is that footwork is the foundation of all weapons and it will seem odd after twenty years off. With that time gap think about "learning to fence" vs "training". Get some basic footwork back, get a sense for distance and timing. Blade work is fun but it is movement, proper stance and body position combined with a basic awareness of distance that is what will get you off to a good start.

Epee is elegant in it simple complexity, you have time to plan things, read your opponent, do preparations to set up moves. Watch other fencers, see what they do. Listen to advice and chat fencing. Don't run from epee, embrace the greatest of the weapons.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    daveappr likes this.
  5. jp-epee

jp-epee Rookie

Thank you!

Do you know/have any links, drills, trainings, youtube videos that focus on footwork?

6. jp-epee

jp-epee Rookie

Thank you!

7. robert

robert Made the Cut

If you search on YouTube there is tons of stuff, just to start you could look at Mario Bottcher, the Fencing Factory, or look for Paul Neil-MacLachlan under Beth Davidson or Seth Baldwin epee. But there is a whole range of stuff so explore.