Accepted Armory Rates

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Stence, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Hey all, a bit of an off topic question but I was wondering how much you all charge a club for your services.

I have been working at one of my clubs for a little over a year and was asked to put an invoice together for them, but there is so much here I am not sure how to charge for it.

The club said that it would be easiest to pay me for an hourly rate as opposed to task by task because that would be way too difficult to track over the long term and partially after the fact.

I was thinking something like $15/ hour of work but was not sure if that was too much or two little.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Given that I do armory as part of my business, it's a little different.

For years I charged $10 + parts for rewires (usually the wire itself), but I just upped that to $15 + parts.
    Other repairs are $15 for a repair that uses another part, $5 for one that doesn't.

Given how much work I do for school teams, it works out for me.

Often at tournaments, I won't even charge a set fee for tightening a barrel, putting in a screw, or fixing a break in a body cord....I just tell them to put a tip in the jar.

More often than not, they put in more than I feel comfortable charging!

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Not a bad hourly rate, does that include parts or is that just labor.

Wire and assemble a blade, how long does that take you? Round-up by 5-10- or 15-minutes and figure how many you can do in that period. Does doing X of those for $15 sound reasonable? And you'll be able to layer work too, while a blade is drying (5-mins) you could be setting shims.

And seeing Purp replied, next is the obligatory, Paging TwisterFencer or Mergs..

4. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

What is your time worth, what are your outside options, and what are the outside options for the club if they don't hire you? What do you get out of the job other than monetary compensation (e.g., enjoyment, appreciation, frustration, etc.)?

B

5. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Most of the fixes I do don't require parts per-se. Dab of glue here, fix a floor cord there, tighten a barrel, replace one of those rubber tips for dry weapons, get the velcro on old masks changed, clean rust off of old blades, that kinda thing. I obviously also do the more standard stuff like clean tips, set shims, rewires, body cords, strip maintenance, etc.

A rewire usually takes me ~30 minutes excluding acetone time and time the glue is drying. So with that said the rate you mentioned makes good sense to me.

6. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

My time isn't worth that much as I'm still a college student on summer break, but there is only one other armorer in the area and he doesn't work very fast nor is he easy to reach. Additionally on that point I fence at the club anyway so I have no problem getting there early and fixing/maintaining equipment for an hour or two before practice.

As for what I get out of it I am happy to give back to the club because I learned to fence through the youth program there, and fixing things can be rather cathartic for me, but not at the quantity that I am going through things at. There has been reels and floor cords sitting at the back of this club for YEARS that only now are getting fixed.