2018 Summer Nationals St. Louis

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

The rule was passed in April...only 2 months prior to nats at latest....that's NOT a lot of time to get the stuff made and in stock considering demand in other parts of the world and limited manufacturers, and I know Fencing Post WAS worried they might not have enough in stock in time (which is why they were carrying some Absolute stock).

Inventory for nationals with less than 800 potential customers re inventory for the entire foil membership across the nation are different in scale... by a long way. My beef is that by requiring ALL foil fencers to have the new plates NOW, there may not be time to get sufficient supplies. There is NO reason to require anyone other than those doing points events to have it for the coming season...certainly not for the youngest age groups. It just adds an additional financial burden that could be put off a year, like the conductive bibs we for foil masks.

Additionally, if I were to bet that the NO has a plan in place to deal with events taking place where the was not enough supply to include all the female competitors, I would bet no...in a heartbeat. They don't think that far ahead, if they think at all, which they repeatedly do not (foil masks being the notable exception).

No....the only event organizers who can decide not to implement the rule after August 1 are those who are not running USFA-sanctioned events, like our scholastic league. Per the statement from USFA, ALL sanctioned events must use the new rule for foil...and I'm well aware that I'll need to check the plates for conformance if I work any USFA-sanctioned event, local or otherwise.

Wasn't sure....the father's description seemed to fit you, as I k new Ted was at an FIE meeting...I haven't worked enough national events to have met any Asian armorers I remember other than you and Ted (and I put my name in for ALL of them).

2. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

No male foil fencer is required to have the new plate.

3. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Neither the old one.:D

4. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

Some of the large events started pretty late (2pm) - leading to predictably late end times (10pm). Even the really large ones that started early had late end times. Y14MF - traditionally huge was larger than normal with the new qualification rules - 320+ with everyone advancing to DE's - started at 8am right on time. DE's didn't start for hours because of flighting and finals finished 7:21pm. NO might consider tinkering with qualification paths again.

5. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

Well, by the time I got to the armorer's table to have my gear checked, there was no point in complaining. (I was among the hubcap hubbub group and made my own with craft foam and hot glue while waiting for my neoprene to ship from the west coast which didn't make it to Philly in time for me to create the covers I really want.) I've been wearing the new padded buggers since the middle of June at my club (to get used to the change in dimension and fit of my gear) and I've found that my clubmates are often missing touches they used to get because of the padding causing their point to skip or not completely depress. Wondering how long before they abandon this rule and go back to what we had.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Because your craft foam doesn't comply?

7. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

Oh no, I was one of the first set of hubcabs seen by the armorers I saw on Sunday around noon time. In fact, they took photos of my handiwork and were quite complimentary. In fact, I still have my card showing that I passed tucked into a pocket in my fencing bag in the event I am challenged on the use at a non-national event. Two layers of 2mm craft foam applied to hubcaps with hot glue does in fact pass. My solution cost me under $10 (I bought 10 pieces of craft foam to allow for cutting errors and incorrect dart placement when attempting to glue) and I have 6 or 7 sheets of foam left at home. My neoprene cost me more and will be washable and will take some more time to engineer properly and sew - I'll need to do mock ups.

However, there is no point in complaining to the armorers - they didn't make the rule. They are only tasked to enforce the rule. Why complain to them?