2018 Keystone Location and Turnout

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jkormann, Jul 21, 2018.

1. jkormann

jkormann Podium

2. Zebra

Zebra Podium

It's part of a much bigger program, and the host region this year is Luzerne County. That said, hockey is going to be in York this year (figure skating has always been in York, and in February).
    Registration is definitely crummy so far, largely because York and Harrisburg were convenient for Baltimore and DC fencers, and Hazelton is too far to attract NJ and NY fencers.

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

York is nice.
    Most any fencers from what I'm seeing.

4. bbower

bbower DE Bracket

$65 an event and spectators have to pay? $115 to register late? Shocking there's no turnout ...

5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Then there's this goodness:
    **KSG charges an admission fee for spectators (anyone not competing, officiating or volunteering). Spectators include family members, and coaches, of the athletes. The following passes are available:
    $10 Daily Fee
    $15 "Two Day Pass"
    $20 "All Event Pass" good throughout the tournament.

6. Zebra

Zebra Podium

That's charged by the KSG organization and not by the fencing people.
    It's why I kept my credential from when I worked the hockey tournament.

7. Peach

Peach Podium

Nobody I know of has ever checked whether you're a spectator or not.

There is no one signed up for the veteran women's sabre and two people for the open women's sabre, one of them someone whose mom signed her up for every possible event on the East Coast, so even though I live in Pennsylvania it doesn't look like I'm making this year's event.

8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I'm half-tempted to sign-up and get a 3rd place in Sr Epee or Sabre

I've long believed that with a competitor who is under 17, one parent (or guardian) should get admission. We have safe-sport, but that's not the same as having a parent keeping an eye out. Especially for Y14 events.

Marc and Grey Sabreur like this.
  9. Zebra

Zebra Podium

In figure skating, that's usually the practice (though not at Keystone): to include one free admission for a chaperone, though you have some competitors who are 9 or 10. But avoiding that admission fee might be an incentive for a parent to compete!

10. sdubinsky

sdubinsky DE Bracket

I had fun at the KSG, although I don't know if I had $65 fun. It's cool to see the other sports going on around you.

11. Zebra

Zebra Podium

All the Y14, junior, and vet events were cancelled, and men and women had to be combined in senior foil and sabre.

12. jkormann

jkormann Podium

To quote a realtor, "Location, location, location."

13. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Did KSG combine fencing with other sports in the State Games, and was that the reason for the change of venue? While I can see the value of an Arnold-like sportsfest, I have been to state games in two states and in both, the Fencing was run by the largest club or division head, the same as a large local ROC...

14. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Yes, KSG is a big multi-sport event, and the organizers must have got a better hosting bid from Luzerne County than from York or Harrisburg/Hershey. Don't know who is organizing the fencing, but the sanction is from NE PA division rather than Central PA.

15. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

I think this is one of those events where the hosting of the event is moved around periodically to share the pain.

16. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Not really. The local tourism and commerce organizations like to have events like these which will bring thousands of visitors to their areas.
    BTW, I looked up State Games of America for 2019, and they'll be in Lynchburg VA.

17. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I wouldn't consider Hazelton, PA to be a hotbed of tourism and commerce.

18. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

Well, maybe not for fencing, but since this year's KSG (for various sports) are being held in and around Luzerne County, maybe some of them will bring those visitor dollars.

I never even heard of the "State Games of America". It seems medalists from participating states' games are eligible, as well as all relatively local residents.

19. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Yep. Every two years, usually in smaller cities like Grand Rapids MI or Harrisburg PA, though they were in San Diego in 2011. It's not a big event for fencing but in some other sports it's huge. For figure skating, it's the single largest event in the country, if not the world: about a thousand skaters, some of whom are in multiple events. Across all the sports there's a total of over 10,000 participants.

20. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

No fencing in founding-year 2005 or nor will be next.