2018 April NAC Richmond

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jjefferies, Apr 16, 2018.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Anything new or updated info on Richmond? Changes in the venue, local area, Parking, hotels, parades local events that might affect getting to the venue? Any suggestions about food or entertainment?
    1. Weather reports are forecasting temp ranging from 39 at night to mid 60's in the afternoon.
    2. Parking. Is the $7.00/day parking garage at 351 N 3rd St, Richmond, VA 23219 Ok? In the past I stayed downtown which is rather over pricey this time around.
    3. And just in case there is any one who hasn't gotten a place to stay, do beware of AirBnB in the downtown Richmond area. Personally I had a major bad experience last year. Seems that many of the old row houses close to the venue have been bought on the cheap by speculators trying to make a buck as AirBnB units.
    4. Dining: Perly's on Grace St. is a short walk from the venue and worth trying. Usually a line to get in though. And if you want an experience with food on the side. Try the 3rd street diner at 3rd and Main in the early morning hours. After all the legal places close down at night the night crawlers go to the late night places and after they close down go to the 3rd street diner. open 24/7.

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Does this diner serve breakfast? ( Normal standard American breakfast, I mean, not bagels and fruit like hotels pass off as "breakfast". )

3. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I found the Korean restaurant J Kogi on the corner of 2nd Street and Marshall to be interesting. It's only two blocks from the venue. It is small and can get crowded.

4. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Oh yes! Since 1921 they claim. Not that bad to my tastes but a wine snob friend didn't think much of their potables.

5. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

Edit: Yes, the deck on third is fine. I park there all the time, and it is where my sister parks for work. I don't know of any other events that will complicate things. We had the Easter parade on, well, Easter, and the Monument Avenue 10K was last weekend.

You will not want for people watching at Third St. And yes, Inq, it is real, stick-to-your-ribs breakfast. I grew up eating here and it's chief value is as salt and grease infusion for the overserved. Not something I'm taking down too close to a competition.

I work not far from the convention center and here are a few things that might not cross your radar. Coffee and a pastry or breakfast sandwich, there's Lift Coffee at 218 W. Broad (5 blocks from CC). Saison is a great restaurant at Adams and Marshall but they also have an express storefront facing Adams between Broad and Marshall. Good for a sandwich and a beer. Tarrant's at Broad and Adams has brunch on Sat and Sun and the she-crab soup is killer. They also have pizza, which the delivery services will bring to you. Stoplight Gelato on Brook between Marshall and Clay is a good walkable dessert. Alamo BBQ on Church Hill is a short Uber ride for BBQ. I get the Texas Trainwreck (again, not so much the night before a tournament).

There is another new place on 2nd near J Kogi called Salt & Forge. They have breakfast in the form of various biscuits. Prices seem steep; I haven't been, but people say it's pretty good.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  6. dberke

dberke Podium

I always park in the garage just south of the big round arena on the east side of the CC (on 5th St.) If you're coming from the east/airport area, the freeway exit drops you right on to 5th Street so it's a straight shot to the parking garage. Cross the skybridge from the garage right in to the CC, usually the fencing hall is right there on the first floor (no need to walk a mile to the other end of the building.) I can't recall the exact price, but I think it's in the neighborhood of $10 for the day.

Dan

7. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Can't tell if the prices have changed but a google ground view shot shows it as $8.00/day early bird special. Not sure what that means. Looks like the street address is 499 N. 5th St.

8. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

I spoke too soon re: other events. There’s a protest Friday afternoon going from Browns Island to the Capitol. Shouldn’t directly affect the venue but if you’re staying down the hill at the Omni, Delta, Courtyard, or Residence Inn, you might give yourself some wiggle room to get to the venue for afternoon events.

http://wtvr.com/2018/04/16/national-school-walkout-richmond/amp/

9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

10. swordwench

swordwench is a Verified Fencing Expertswordwench Podium

How is it possible to have a thread about Richmond and not wax poetic about the joys of the GWARbar? Seriously, this is the main draw in the town. If I didn't have to visit Richmond every year or two for fencing, I would find another excuse to go, just because of this restaurant. It is amazing, on so many levels. It's at 217 W Clay St., a nice walk from the venue.

neevel likes this.
  11. just_some_guy

just_some_guy Made the Cut

Just offering a quick +1 for Saison. I eat there every time I go to Richmond and enjoy it every time.

12. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

Another vote for Saison. And also Edo's Squid...weird name, funky location (second floor up some semi-sketchy stairs), but great Italian food. Be prepared to wait, but worth it.

13. neevel

neevel Armorer

And as I stated the last time there was a Richmond NAC, anyone who can get a photo of the FOC at GWARbar will win the internet.

swordwench likes this.
  14. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

Oh yeah NASCAR is in town. Racing Friday and Saturday. Shouldn’t affect us too much, maybe some traffic issues on 295 or on 64 between the airport and downtown. Also, anticipate surge pricing on Natural Light and Copenhagen.

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

That will go nicely with the surge pricing on the hotel rooms, already in progress.

16. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Don’t forget the surge charge on Uber! :)

But I can’t complain, the food makes it all worth it!

17. sdubinsky

sdubinsky DE Bracket

Why? Is that where they're racing?

18. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

+1 for Salt & Forge

+1 for Fighting Fish

Both 1 block away from the venue. Fighting Fish is small with a small menu, but delicious.

19. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

So I work for the electric & gas company headquartered in Richmond. Checked with the security desk in the office across the street from my hotel. Was able to confirm that parking downtown on the street is FREE from 6pm Friday to 6am Monday morning.

Privateer likes this.
  20. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

I was horrified. But 48h before leaving, was able to book a cheap room downtown through my employer's travel agency. Got very lucky. So don't forget to check on any side benefits of other memberships you might have (work, AAA, Costco, any insurance plans with travel policies, etc.) for atypical room pricing.