2018-19 armory avail form

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Purple Fencer, Aug 6, 2018.

1. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I understand where Dave Neevel is coming from. When I worked at the '84 Olympics in LA, I stocked up on my vacation time for 3+ years. That was barely enough to cover 5 weeks of my time in LA. I did it because the possibility of having another Olympics in the US wasn't good given the previously US Olympics was 50 years before.

Oh yeah, I paid for my own lodgings for that event. That allowed someone else a chance to work at the venue and a place to stay. Most of the volunteers who didn't live in the LA area didn't stay in a nice hotel, they stayed locally at people's houses, etc. I remember a couple of people staying in someone's pop up trailer on the front lawn.

So, I guess I'm saying is if you really want something badly, you're may to have to sacrifice to get it. That's the bottom line. Find a way to do it and don't complain.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

If I got tapped to be an associate armorer on an international trip I'd certainly try to raise the funds.

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I believe the procedure is that you are a unpaid volunteer for the first international trip. You are responsible for pretty much all of your expenses. I'm assuming that your request must also be accepted and approved by US SEMI and the National Office. Don't expect for the powers to be to ask you, you need to make the offer and be willing to fulfill the commitment.

If my information is correct, to be an armorer for one of our international teams, you must be a head tech. That definitely limits the number of qualified people to a select few.

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

No, that's not correct. Matthew Porter is not a head tech (he's not interested in the managerial aspects of that task).

5. brtech

brtech Podium

The hire list we maintain is annotated with head tech and team armorer. You don't have to be a head tech to be a team armorer, but most are. There is one training position per year: the second armorer in the Junior Worlds cadre. We sometimes can send a trainee to Senior Worlds when they let us have two armorers. That was my training experience. Expenses and honorarium are paid. We don't always send a trainee, mostly because there are only 4 or 5 slots per year and we have quite a few more than 4-5 armorers who are team armorer qualified and available for an event. We do want to have advancement opportunities for armorers, so trainees are common at least every 2-3 years.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah...that's how Gary Spruill got on Jr Worlds one time.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Ok....the form came in the email....have already responded. Now to see if I get hired this year.

8. Ayesha Shah

Ayesha Shah Rookie

Hi. How do I get the hire list?

9. brtech

brtech Podium

You get experience and training from local armorers, and ideally work local tournaments. Then you volunteer for at least two NACs under at least two different head techs including at least one set up and one tear down. If they both recommend you, we will add you to the list.

10. Ayesha Shah

Ayesha Shah Rookie

I'm looking for an Armor for my Club in Chantilly, VA. Any interested parties? Please email me at [email protected]

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I d
    I don't suppose this hire list is available anywhere?

12. brtech

brtech Podium

No, it has WAAAY too much Personally Identifiable Information. I think it's US SEMI only.

13. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Give Anonymous a call, I'm sure they can hack it for you.

( And is US SEMI necessarily any more to be trusted with PII than your garden-variety armoring-type person? What is their security clearance level? )