2018-19 armory avail form

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Purple Fencer, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Last year we got the availability form around Aug 10.

Any word on the one for the upcoming season?

Brian? Michael?

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Ref form became available recently (last week?).

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Have patience, it'll be out soon enough. Like many armorers who work regional, national, and international events, it's nice to know sooner than later. My calendar already has 9 regional SYC/ROC/RYC/RJCC events in my local area on the calendar. If you throw in a couple of NACs and the Summer Nationals, it's going to be a busy season.

4. brtech

brtech Podium

Coming very soon

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Good....I'm one of those who is always available. Now that Monitorlizard has retired, I think she will be as well...hubby James also?

6. dcchew

dcchew Podium

My last date of work is August 10th at 4:30PM PDT. Retirement from the rat race. :)

I only plan on hopefully adding only 1 more NAC to my armory calendar. This type of work does take its toll on my old geezer body, especially the knees.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I wasn't sure if you'd retired or not, or I would've mentioned you as well.

And, of course, there's Matthew Porter...

8. brtech

brtech Podium

I retired as of the end of May. Busy as all get out at the moment, but will have some more time for fencing eventually.

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Retired...apparently “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

At this rate, USFA might have a whole pool of armored avail at any time.

10. dcchew

dcchew Podium

The problem is that we "retirees" aren't spring chickens any more. I can only go so far and I hit a wall. I've got 2 months where there are 3 tournaments scheduled. We need young people to this profession.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

A valid point...the long-established armorers are slowly leaving the game. David Clarke recently passed away, and even then he wasn't working more than a few local events a year. Dan D is pretty much out, and I've only seen Carl Oberg a few times.

There are some newer ones in service, like Jay and Nylda Vadnias of Gladius Fencing Supply, and I'm not so old that I need to pull back....hell, I WANT to work NACs and such.

In fact, if we are to have sufficient armorers at the LA O-Games in 2024, we're going to need to bring up a new crop of those who want to work FIE events so they can get that experience. I've got 15+ years working local, sectional, and some national events, but only a handful of international ones, and those were all pentathlons...and even then I only ran the gabrit one time.

12. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

Yes, James and I are both retired, and would be available on short notice. Retirement is the best thing that's ever happened to me.
    We still have some NACs we want to sign up for, and might also be interested in some international events, too.

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

We should form a migrant armorer crew...

14. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Be careful for what you ask for. El Presidente may deport us.

15. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

Well, we'd get to work internationally.

16. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Would also need to convince Paris to give up the Games. Los Angeles is 2028.

B

17. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Oops....my bad....wasn't quite awake there.

The concern, however, is very real. We could lose a chunk of FIE-experienced armorers in 10 years... more need to be generated.

18. brtech

brtech Podium

sooner than 2028. We're hosting Junior Worlds in 2020 in Salt Lake City. We'll need a large crew for that. You will see some mentions of that in the availability form when it arrives.

Not arguing that we need more younger armorers.

19. neevel

neevel Armorer

The challenge for younger (i.e, non-retired :)) armorers in doing international events (and team armory positions in particular) is that the time requirements don't mesh well with limited vacation time. The time required for a Senior or Junior/Cadet Championships team armorer position is 2.5-3 weeks. That will entirely consume most folks vacation time for the year until they work up to 4 weeks or more of vacation- if they even can at their job. And even the self-employed or business owners are going to take a long time to build things to the point where they can be away for that long. I know the plans for SLC 2020 are to split it into half-tournament stints like Summer Nationals, which will help a lot; but doing stints for World Championships is not really economically or logistically feasible (due to having to buy an extra set of plane tickets, and the nature of the work not being something that can be readily handed off to someone else mid-course).

20. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Still, you lose nothing by asking those of us who are self-employed if we can work the event.

My only real issue with working an out of country FIE event would be paying my travel for that first one before having it handled for me in future trips. Or has that requirement been dropped?