US Fencing 2016 USA Fencing Election Candidates

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Web Bot, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Web Bot

Web Bot Rookie

The following article just published on US Fencing: 2016 USA Fencing Election Candidates

Read full story for latest details.

Tag(s): News Archive

Continue reading... Published on: {pubDate}

2. NipperDad

NipperDad Made the Cut

This is where the current by-laws fail. In the president and at-large elections, 2/3rds of the electorate can vote against a candidate and they still win. I don't see any way that's a reasonable approach to running an election.

That said, good on Bill, Mark and David for getting on the ballot. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you and the nominated candidates have to say.

3. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Here's our opportunity to put in play our here discussions.

4. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

There is now a contested election for USA Fencing President. What questions do you have for the candidates that would help you decide who to vote for?

Also, for the At Large Director, what questions do you have for those candidates?

5. pillow

pillow Podium

Here's one I posted on another thread:

"Should the Div 1 National Championship be a mandatory event in order to make a Senior Team? Or, should we continue to allow our best fencers to qualify for Senior Teams primarily via World Cups, thus devaluing our National Championship?"

Here's another:
    " Do you feel that entry to a Div I NAC should remain as is, or should it be based an a Regional Qualifying system, ie PBQ?" If so, do you believe the USFA has in place such a system that will provide Div I fencers with the proper level of referee quality and organizational infrastructure?"

Last one:
    "What did our current President accomplish so far? Where did he make mistakes? What would you have done differently"

6. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

With our international success seemingly determined by the efforts of individual clubs, coaches, and fencers; and our local growth driven by individual member clubs, what role does US Fencing have in determining the landscape for fencing in the US for the next ten years? Given an answer to that question, what -- in your role as President of the USFA -- to meet the goals set by the organization in forming that landscape?

orangeandblue, Privateer and mgriff like this.
  7. Privateer

Privateer Podium

What is the status of the 2013 Strategic Plan and how will you continue to implement its recommendations?

8. dubious

dubious Rookie

Question for the candidates for president: What changes, if any, would you recommend in the processes used by USA Fencing to address disciplinary matters?

9. pillow

pillow Podium

So now what have you done with our list of questions? Have you interviewed the candidates? Did anyone refuse to talk to you if you asked them to do so? Are you planning an article for F.net?

10. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I have not done anything with these questions because I haven't had time to spend on this. It's baseball coaching time. ;)

11. pillow

pillow Podium

I was not aware there were sports other than fencing.

Eledex and jdude97 like this.
  12. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

There aren't. Craig merely has a vivid imagination.

Eledex and jdude97 like this.
  13. BOliver

BOliver DE Bracket

Candidate USA Fencing President

Oliver is the Right Call

To the members of USA Fencing,
    Fencing has been the center of my world for almost 40 years. As an athlete, coach, club manager, international and domestic referee, division and section chair, USFA Executive Committee member and fencing parent, I have been intimately familiar with all aspects of fencing in the USA. Given the numerous roles I have played in our sport, I provide a unique and unmatched level of experience. I am very much aware of the needs of the small club, and those of the elite athlete. I understand the perspective of the coach who provides the training, and the parent who pays for it. I have been the athlete begging for the touch, and the referee awarding it.

USA Fencing stands at a crossroads. We have had excellent results and steady growth for the past several decades. However, our overall vision hasn't changed substantially since the early 1990's. Recent administrations have been content to stay the course, relying on the hard work and sacrifice of our coaches and athletes to provide success. We need to examine our current goals and procedures, and determine if they are adequate for the present time, and if not, what course of action will best suit our long term goals.

I have a history of leadership, action and successes as a leader at various levels of volunteer administration in USA Fencing. While serving as a member, and later the chair, of the Fencing Officials Commission, I promoted increased communication and transparency, establishing the FOC web page and newsletter and worked with a team of skilled officials to translate and publish the world’s first online rules book. Seeing a need to better organize and manage our referees, I created a specific referee ratings system that provided clear guidelines for referee placement and development. Working with a strong team to develop the referee training program, we instituted the Certified Referee Instructor role, launching a curriculum for training and certification.

Additionally, I was a successful Division and Section chair, maintaining positive budgets, and hosting a number of Championship tournaments. In order to promote fencing outside of the traditional geography, I created the Rocky Mountain Sectional Circuit. As an international referee, I’m used to making hard decisions, and sticking to them, in the face of withering criticism. I’m not going to be bullied or side-tracked and I won’t be just another guy in a nice suit!

Professionally, outside of fencing, I have been a leader in Information Technology. I’m comfortable with developing teams of subject matter experts, and leading them towards a specific goal, with measurable deliverables along the way. I have 40 years of experience in long-term corporate disaster recovery, data security, and strategic planning.
    I believe that we have outlived our current system, and that we need to work together to establish a new direction for USA Fencing. Here are the key areas that I will focus on in my capacity as President:

Coaches and Clubs – These are the backbone of USA Fencing. We need to FOSTER:

• Growth and success of all types and models
    • Coached College to train a new generation of mentors
    • Local promotion of events of all levels
    Tournament Staff – Our referees, bout committee and armory staff are vital to our continued success. It is vital that we PROVIDE:

• Enhanced training for tournament staff
    • Local seminars to bring information to the local clubs and areas
    • An improved ratings system for all tournament staff
    Tournaments – Big or small, our tournament structure needs careful examination. Managed growth requires that we ENSURE:

• Fair regional tournament allocation
    • Long term plans for growth
    • Cutting edge technology to provide easy access to information
    Long Term Athlete Development – USA Fencing needs to provide leadership for our coaches and clubs to assist in athlete development. We must TARGET:

• Elite, youth, veterans, wheel chair, recreational populations
    • Outreach programs to enhance local fencing growth
    • Local and National para-sport organizations to bring wheelchair fencing to a new audience
    Marketing/Promotion – The excitement of fencing provides countless opportunities to tell our story. Communicating well, we can LEVERAGE:

• Programs to bring in additional revenue
    • Potential for future revenue opportunities
    • Promotion of our successes to the public at large
    International Relations –Sports are a universal language and bring people of different cultures together. Leadership requires us to DEVELOP:

• A policy for international relations that is independent of other influences
    • A leading position in the Pan-American Organization and the FIE
    • Strategic input via a solid team appointed to key FIE positions

I ask for your vote so that I can give you and USA Fencing the support that you and the organization deserve. It would be my honor and privilege to serve our entire membership and the sport of fencing as President. I am eager to hear your ideas, share mine, answer questions, and discuss the priorities of USA Fencing going forward. Please visit me at http://www.billoliverfencing.com, facebook.com/voteoliver4pres/ or email me at [email protected]

Warm regards,

Bill Oliver

Mac A. Bee likes this.
  14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

How would you solve the eternal problem of lack of communication of items like rules changes to the membership? Why are delays of one to three months between rule adoption and dissemination to the members acceptable, especially if they involve/require the purchase of new equipment?

15. BOliver

BOliver DE Bracket

Purp,

The lack of communication is a legacy problem. USA Fencing is mired in the idea that communication must proceed at the pace of snail mail. I think that we need instant communications. Why can't we broadcast the Board meetings? Have instant transcripts of the proceedings online, as we speak? Why can't Twitter, Instagram, FaceBook, Skype, be the standard of communication? No reason!

I'm an IT guy. I get the whole Internet thing. We can make it so everyone that is interested gets live feed of our proceedings. We can have minutes of our meetings published in real time. It's easy. We just have to change the paradigm. Nothing could be simpler! :)

jdude97 and Mac A. Bee like this.
  16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Hell, Bill...I'll settle for getting email blasts about rules changes out within a week of adoption...I was NOT a happy camper when I wrote the NO last year after the sabre glove issue.

I say these things should be released on ALL platforms people use...website, FB, Twitter, Email blasts, etc.

If you want to host the main info on the website, fine...but provide notice and a link in an email.

It's not hard, and it should not fall to members like myself, Gary Spruill, etc to get the word out when USFA makes a change.

When they make a rule change, dammit, it's THEIR job to get notice of that change out timely.

17. BOliver

BOliver DE Bracket

Purp, I agree completely. Sending info out is the easiest thing. No reason that we don't already do that.

18. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Oh there's a reason....a combination of overly focusing on the small number of members who fence internatonally (at the expense of the MICH LAFGER rest of us), and sheer laziness.

The NO serves ALL of us....not just those who win medals in FIE events.

19. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Depends on their compensation scheme. If their metric is (collective singular) Olympic medals, then that's where they'll focus.

Privateer likes this.
  20. JMazzoli

JMazzoli Rookie

To clarify your comment about the By-Laws, Article XI, Section 11 of the By-Laws provides "In elections by the membership to fill positions in the USFA, the candidate receiving the greatest number of votes shall be declared the winner . . . ." So what you are complaining about is the lack of a run-off procedure in the By-Laws whereby if there are more than two candidates, and no single candidate receives at least, say 50% percent of the vote, then there must be a run off election between the top two vote recipients, is that right? If so, it is a fair point, given that someone could be elected with substantially less than 50% of the vote, causing one to question just what sort of a "mandate" such an individual would have.