2007 Summer Nationals - Miami - Useful Info

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by JEC, Jul 19, 2006.

1. JEC

JEC Podium

The SN 2007 would be in Miami and the venue appears to be Hall C of the Miami Beach convention center (MBCC -see the calendar of the venue) and not at the Miami Convention Center.

Convention center:
    http://www.gmcvb.com/Planners2/ConventionWeb/MBCC.asp
    Calendar of events:
    http://www.gmcvb.com/planners/convcalendar_public.asp
    Hotels:
    http://www.gmcvb.com/Planners/meetingplanners_hot_dates_rates.asp
    http://www.gmcvb.com/neighborhood/miami_beach.asp

This is a map:
    http://www.gmcvb.com/visitors/MiamiBeachMap.pdf

Many of the hotels in Miami Beach are oceanfront. There is a large avenue that communicates all of them. According to the calendar of events, the SN headquarters would be the Miami Beach Resort & Spa, which looks to be on the Bay side of the island and is only 3 miles away from the Miami Beach Convention Center. Good luck, guys!

Out of the listed hotels in the MBCC, I have been at the Sheraton Bal Harbour Beach Resort a couple of times. It is a very pretty and nice hotel but even farther away. see:
    http://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...ndex.html?propertyID=352&EM=VTY_SI_balharbour

I plan to book early on one of the South Beach oceanfront hotels, afterall, I know where I will spend my non-fencing time :) .

According to Expedia, the Four hotels in the oceanfront side that are the closest to the MBCC are:

The Richmond Hotel - 3 stars - 3 blocks away - rating 3.9/5 - 83% recommended (Expedia) The beach is past the pool and the spa tub through the yard, and over a white-wooden bridge.
    The Townhouse Hotel Miami -3 stars - 7 blocks away - rating 4.0/5 - 71% recommended (Expedia - near beach easy access)
    Continental Hotel South Beach (formerly Riande) - 2.5 stars - 3 blocks away - rating 2.2/5 - 44% recommended - beach access
    The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach - the usual 4.5 stars - 4 blocks away - rating 4.7/5 - 94% recommended - EXPENSIVE

However, the Richmond has had bad reviews:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...views-Richmond_Hotel-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
    Peach likes this.
  2. eac

eac Rookie

Why do they always have summer nationals in places where summer is the most painful?

3. sleepyweasle

sleepyweasle Rookie

At least it's by the beach so there might be a breeze...and the ocean is a good place to cool off. Better than "Hotlanta!" :blah:

4. JMcC

JMcC Rookie

It's clear that price is the overriding factor in location selection. With a few exceptions, they're booking in the off-season - hot cities in the summer, cold cities in the winter.

5. swordsen

swordsen Rookie

Somehow I have a hard time picturing Miami beeing "offseason" in the summer. Beach central. It should be a scenic venture if nothing else......

6. passata_sotto

passata_sotto Rookie

Years ago I moved to Miami for a year. I arrived at the beginning of July (time of SN) and for the first forty days it rained every morning and felt like a steam bath the rest of the day. It is also in the middle of hurricane season.:blah:

The only time any one should go to Miami is January.

7. 4qtrs

4qtrs Rookie

A co-worker was vacationing in Orlando and came back earlier this week. It took her 16 hours to get back to California due to thunderstorms. She also had lots of stories of driving rain and high humidity.

I am already dreading the trip.

8. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

If the weather starts being a problem, I'll tell certain coaches the storm is about to make their fencer lose, and have them go shout it down.

9. HDG

HDG Podium

Quit being such babies.

As long as you maintain a steady stream of mojitos flowing into you, you'll stay nice and cool. And for you armorers, there's an outstanding Irish pub w/in a reasonable walk of the venue.

It will be off-season, so hotels will be reasonable; there's about 1 taxi per person, and an outstanding restaurant or cafe (and bar) every few feet.

Hot? Yeah, but where isn't it hot on the East Coast in July?

10. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

11. passata_sotto

passata_sotto Rookie

12. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

I can't speak for Allagash, but Naples (near Bridgeton, North Wyndham, and Portland, if you don't know it) can get fairly warm. Of course, that's what the lake is for.

13. smurfette

smurfette Rookie

I can't believe it. We are already on to next year's summer nationals?

14. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

No, we're talking about Allagash in 2008. :)

Let's see, population 276. Add 3500 fencers, figure another 1500 family/friends, yeah, I'm sure they could handle it... Venue might be outdoors under a series of tents, but the AFLA used to have outdoor championships, think of it as a throw-back thing.

-B

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  15. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

You mean like the preliminary rounds of the Cadet/Junior World Championships or the PR Gran Prix?

Seems like that would be good training for our aspiring international athletes. ;)

Craig

16. telkanuru

telkanuru Podium

At least it's florida so it will be perfectly sunny unless some omnipotent being smites it as does tend to happen.

17. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

I believe the topic was our perspiring athletes. Or possibly, if the heat is too much, our expiring athletes.

18. seak

seak Rookie

19. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

I'm afraid all of Lake Placid's athletic juju was used up in 1980.

20. JMcC

JMcC Rookie

There's the rub. Why are the Summer Nationals on the East Coast again; two years in a row?