2006 Southeastern Sectionals

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by fluidfencer, Aug 8, 2005.

1. fluidfencer

fluidfencer DE Bracket

Just a quick posting to let folks in the Southeast (U.S.) know that the date and place for the 2006 championships have been confirmed. They will be held May 6-7, 2006 in the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex. Additional information and a web site will be provided soon. The paperwork should be forwarded to Bill Becker this week to make it official, although the venue has been secured.

Frank Pratt likes this.
  2. RebelFencer

RebelFencer Podium

Awesome. Can't wait.

3. Goofy

Goofy Rookie

4. cameroncrazy323

cameroncrazy323 Rookie

If I'm not mistaken there is more than one SAT testing date... Besides the ACT is better anyway.

5. fluidfencer

fluidfencer DE Bracket

It is an SAT date. It was also the only date we could find in that narrow window between the Divisionals and the SN entry deadline, and national tournaments, and holidays.

I'm not insensitive to the potential conflict. My son starts college this fall and we had to juggle SAT/ACT with school exams and swim meets.

6. Goofy

Goofy Rookie

Thanks, ff. I've also been informed by the USFA that the '...avoidance of test dates (is) a desirable but not necessary condition for setting dates for national competitions....', and the same applies to qualifying events.

Birmingham, AL, May 6-7, 2006. Got it, and we're there. :red:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  7. fencergal33

fencergal33 Rookie

Since the location seems to be nailed down pretty early this year, will information about the host hotel and schedule also be available early. This would seriously help with travel plans, as well as time off work or vacation planning since many of us in the Southeast Section are probably planning on going to nationals this year. Thanks!

8. Frank Pratt

Frank Pratt DE Bracket

I can't remember the date and location for Sectionals being set so far in advance. The GA Division has yet to set its schedule. Having this date in stone will help out a lot. Thanks for getting this together so early!

9. fluidfencer

fluidfencer DE Bracket

We have already blocked rooms at the downtown Sheraton at a cost of $89 (before taxes). Give us some time to get all the details. I will try to coordinate with Bill Becker to get all the information on the SES web page, and it will definitely be on AskFred. The hotel is directly adjacent to the venue, with several decent places to eat (from Subway to fine dining, with a bar). I would like to have arrangements made for a nice place at about half that cost as well, or as close as we can get, which actually won't be that hard but a short distance to drive. I'm talking about a new hotel with warm free breakfast kind of thing.

More later.

10. mlr2fence

mlr2fence Rookie

11. Frank Pratt

Frank Pratt DE Bracket

True, but the same could be said for any weekend in May or early June. If you wait until late May or June, you start to run into High School graduations, which causes even more problems, especially in the U19 age group. I know what you're talking about, though. When I was in college, Sectionals was always on graduation weekend (on Mothers Day, usually.) I missed Sectionals my senior year because I was walking at graduation that weekend, despite the fact that the event was a 45 minute drive from campus (as opposed to several hours on the road or an hour in the air during any other year.)

To David’s credit, this is a big improvement over previous years, where the date was sometimes not announced until just before or just after the New Year :rolleyes:! Having the event planned this early allows High School Junior/Seniors time to plan to take the SAT on another date. Besides, by the time May rolls around, it’s too late for the Seniors to get one more SAT score into the colleges, and the Juniors will have another year to get the test out of the way (if they even take the test that early.)

12. fencergal33

fencergal33 Rookie

Did Birmingham get any damage from the hurricane? If so, is everything still set to go with the venue and date?

13. Frank Pratt

Frank Pratt DE Bracket

I don't think so. I was in Birmingham a couple of days ago and there did not seem to be any serious damage. A lot of people were without power, but I doubt that there is anything that will cause a problem for Sectionals in May.

14. Mitchell

Mitchell hi Staff Member

April 29-May 6 Sat-Sat Examinations

:(
    i hope epee's on sunday

15. fencergal33

fencergal33 Rookie

Or maybe you won't have an exam on the last day. Maybe you'll get lucky and your last exam will be Thursday or Friday. I thought you picked up saber anyway?

16. D+F+P=Hadouken!

D+F+P=Hadouken! Rookie

Does anyone have the entry form? Also, does anyone know what days u-19 and div 1a ME are on?

17. CvilleFencer

CvilleFencer Podium

Here is a link with th sectional flyer on it, second news item from the top: http://www.va-usfa.org/

18. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

Just as a note to those concerned about the SATs, you can probably arrange to take them in Birmingham, if you can find a testing site near the center. Assuming you're not fencing one of the conflicting events...

19. bigdawg2121

bigdawg2121 Podium

Wow...am I the only person in the Southeast that really doesn't want to go to Sectionals b/c it's actually farther away than nationals?

edit: (when did I become a senior member...time flies)

20. CvilleFencer

CvilleFencer Podium

You are not the only one. I have never been to them. For that much time/travel/money, I will just go to a NAC. Not sure why anyone goes to them that is not fairly local, except for those who are div 1 or missed their slot in the Div II/III and is willing to spend the money on a long shot.