2 new armory vids

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Purple Fencer, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Repairing a mask strap

Covering a ask tongue that's coming apart.

The 2nd one is, perhaps, not the best job, but it'll work for a club mask....I much more wanted to show what the inside of the tongue looks like.

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Personally I just wrap the universal repair agent, duct tape, around the tongue when it gets raggedy. :) Haven't had any problems with hair.

For a broken tongue wire, I wonder whether you could get some metal tubing just slightly larger in diameter than the wire and slide the two ends of the wire into the tubing then crimp the tubing tight?

3. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

While mending the break with a piece of tube (essentially acting like a splint for a broken bone) might server as a repair I doubt that simply crimping the tubing would fix it in place well enough to be considered a fix (broken bones may mend themselves but wire frames will not).

4. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

For a mask of the type in the first repair, is there a prohibition (or reason that I haven't thought of) against either sewing the strap directly to the tab-ends or affixing two snaps to either side? It's armory weekend at my house and I have a mask where the strap's elastic has plenty of life but the velcro is DOA.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Not that I'm aware of. I seem to recall a mask that had the strap affixed with snaps years ago, but that WAS years ago.

So long as the strap is affixed in some manner AND the strap actually is in contact with the back of the head -- rathe than hanging down to the shoulders like some I've seen -- it should be good.

I usually recommend that people getting a new mask sew the straps together on the same side as their weapon hand once they get the strap set right. That way they 1) have the strap with the mask when presented at control, 2) they don't LOSE the strap, and 3) they can use their off hand to undo the other side to remove the mask if they desire.

6. brtech

brtech Podium

Anything that lets the strap do the job it's supposed to do is probably going to be okay. You can't make a really severe modification to the mask, but I don't think most armorers would worry about well installed snaps. Sewing a new piece of elastic to the tabs is perfectly fine as long as you have them securely attached.

We're going to be more picky about this in the upcoming season, so get your straps in shape please.

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Well, one could always put some epoxy down in there.

8. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Santelli - still passes so used at practice.

9. robert

robert Made the Cut

We use 2 inch pajama elastic from a sewing store. Just cut it to length and sew it to the insides at the back of the mask. Cheap, holds the mask firmly in place and the kids can't take it off.

10. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Just a straight strap across the back? No velcro closures?