1969 World Championships -

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Ancientepee, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

With next year being the fiftieth anniversary of the US fencing team's participation in the 1969 World Championships in Havana, Cuba, I decided to write up some of the unusual things that happened there for publication next year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Mac A. Bee likes this.
  2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Don’t DO that!!!

Who passed?

3. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

According to Charles Astudillo:
    "I really wish I had not participated in fake news. While I thought I had verified my source prior to posting, it turned out to be the same yet incorrect source.

That doesn’t change that fact that we still lost an amazing armorer. Dave Clarke was known for his slow manner and quick wit around the fencing community. Often sporting a straw hat, he always had a fun and interesting sense of humor. My favorite story is when he was walking out to a strip call with a junior armorer. The referee pointed at the machine, pulled the wire and produced a white light. After fixing the issue, the junior armorer turned to Dave and asked, “What’s he thinking, all high and mighty?” Dave smiled and said: “That’s the guy that brought the case of Guinness for the armory”.

Dave would be one of the many armorers that would tell stories as he inspected your equipment. He was also the one that would tell you to bring only the inspection items to the table, not your whole bag. David traveled with us across the country, from venue to venue, until he was no longer capable. You will be missed dear friend….
    Rest in peace Dave."

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

DAVID??? Crap crap crap!! I worked with him many times.

Will have to get in touch with his son, Derek, and give my condolences.

5. Jvanhousen

Jvanhousen DE Bracket

Can't someone remove or edit this post?!! It's very disturbing to read such things in a long post on a mobile device where you don't find out it's BS until you do some scrolling.

Inquartata likes this.
  6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Indeed. I was quite downcast until I read the next post.

7. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I found that I could edit my own replies or even delete them but there doesn't seem to be any way to delete the original posting or even a thread. So I've edited the original post to remove the false news from Charles about the wrong armorer's death. Sorry about that.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Thanks....Dan's old enough that it really scared me!

9. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

10. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Since this started as a 'Mark Twain' post about Dan, I need to pass on something sad. Dan had a son, Daniel R DeChaine III, known as Rob. He passed away last Thursday the 9th. Plans are to have something this Sunday the 19th. When I have more information I will pass it on.