'17-'18 ROC/SYC schedule posted

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by cfulmer, Mar 2, 2017.

1. cfulmer

cfulmer Made the Cut

sme321 likes this.
  2. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

There are several popular tournaments that weren't approved this time...

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Only 2 ROCs in the San Francisco Bay Area next season. No RYCs or SYCs next season. I guess I won't be doing many armoring jobs.

4. TooLoftheDeviL

TooLoftheDeviL gother than thou

I have a lot of questions about this schedule, and I don't see a way to get a lot of answers.

5. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

The Virginia Division -- which runs the Kick Off -- elected not to submit a ROC bid for the 2017-2018 season. The Kick Off may be ran as a non-ROC event. This is still being discussed.

A Evans
    (officer, VA Division)

6. mfp

mfp Podium

That list doesn't include RYCs. There will undoubtedly be the usual boatload of them in the Bay Area.

7. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Submission deadline for RYC and RJCC bids isn't until March 31, so the organizers that bid for SYCs can try again for an RYC or RJCC.

8. dberke

dberke Podium

There are only three SYCs in the western half of the country: Seattle, Denver, and San Diego The SYCs in Bay Area (Santa Rosa), Portland, and Phoenix do not appear to have been renewed. That's going to mean a lot of travel for the kids in this half of the country...

Dan

Privateer likes this.
  9. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

And there are 4 SYCs in region 3. As you (and I) have said, these terms mean different things in different parts of the country. Perhaps it's time for the USFA to re-draw the regional map.

10. TooLoftheDeviL

11. dcchew

dcchew Podium

The SYC in Santa Rosa is a hardship for everyone including referees, armorers, etc. Santa Rosa is about 100 miles north of San Francisco through one of the worst commuter areas in the country. It's about a 2 hour drive to get there. Add in flying time to get to either Oakland or San Francisco, you're traveling a whole day to get to the venue.

In about 2 hours, I have to get in my car and start the drive to get to Santa Rosa for this weekend's SYC. I don't really expect to get to the venue until 7:30PM. Fortunately, another armorer is doing the early weapon check tonight.

12. mfp

mfp Podium

Not for the organizer who has a club there! :)

To be fair, it's darn hard to find places in the Bay Area with rent affordable enough to run a SYC. (That doesn't mean one should be run in Santa Rosa though)

13. TooLoftheDeviL

Better not to have an event at all?

14. dcchew

dcchew Podium

The Fencing Center in San Jose is a large facility with 16 permanent strips (11 metal). To hold a SYC there, it really should be done over 2 weekends because of limited available parking space.

As for the SYC in Santa Rosa, the organizers have the problem of getting equipment up to Santa Rosa from various clubs and colleges to the venue (Sonoma County Fairgrounds). A lot of the equipment at the last RYC held there was very old. We repaired one Uhlmann reel that we estimated was made in 1960s.

15. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

And yet established venues with easy access to airports and hotels, an abundance of rated referees, and long histories of strong, well-run competitions were not selected.

16. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

"Only"? How many do we really need to have in one place?

17. mfp

mfp Podium

Quite possibly, yes.

Especially if the lack of attractive SYC bids -- especially from areas with high populations of kid fencers such as SF and LA -- prompts the USFA to rethink what they demand from SYC organizers.

18. HalfBlue

HalfBlue Rookie

mfp, agreed. Our club has organized both, and the RYC/RJCC is by far a more attractive option for a tournament organizer (I can't speak for the huge and established SYCs, however). SYCs are required to run over 3 days and have a higher head tax than the RYC/RJCCS, which can you do in 2 days. If you run additional non-points events alongside your SYC to try to get your numbers up so that you have a hope of finishing in the black, you pay the SYC head tax on those entries as well.

19. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

And a rolled copper strip.

Don't get me going on the condition of the concrete floor....

20. dogimus

dogimus Rookie

I am primarily concerned with the SYC schedule because my fencer will be in Y-12 next year. I live on the west coast and my fencer is getting to the point where a higher level of competition is probably called for. Fencing beginners is not the right level anymore. To get past the local/developmental/progressive level of tournaments, the first step is usually to do RYC events. I am fine with doing those in my division, but the way the points are awarded, it's pretty clear that the powers that be want to discourage you from going to RYCs outside of your division. Here in division 1, an RYC is pretty much fencing most of the same local kids anyway.

So that leaves the next level up and this season, I was thinking of traveling to some SYCs. The problem is the schedule. The first two are so early in the season that they would be a waste to travel to. The stuff in October we can go to, but it's pretty far. Denver is a no brainer - we will head there almost for sure. After that, it's just stupid. We like to point towards the March NAC as a target event and after the Capital Clash there is nothing for almost two months before the NAC. After the NAC, there are the two west coast events, but they are too late to help with preparation for the NAC and way too early to help with preparation for summer nationals.

I like supporting the national tournaments and it's nice to have a ranking etc. But at the y-12 level, the national ranking really doesn't get you anything. If you get high enough in cadet and junior there are things that are worth pursuing if you are that good, but at the Y-10/12/14 level the points don't really mean anything in the long run.

It's pretty clear that the powers that be are uninterested in having a good developmental schedule out west. With Arizona and Oregon being taken off the SYC schedule it really reduces the number of affordable opportunities for people in the west side of the USA. I see no good reason to lower the number of SYCs from 15 to 12. It probably should have been increased from 15 to 18. The point of SYCs is to give kids an opportunity to fence each other and reducing the number makes no sense at all. "Forcing" people to have high travel expenses to compete with a Y-10/12/14 is probably a good way to get people to find another activity for their kid.

So I am trying to find alternatives on the west coast where there is a higher level of fencing competition and the only thing I can see is either doing RYCs outside of my division (1) or doing something like the Bay Cup. Do you guys know any other options on the west side of the USA where we can find the right level of competition ?