New Allstar blade

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by naysayernyc, Apr 25, 2019.

1. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

Has anybody heard anything about the new Allstar black predator blades that were released recently?

2. Joe biebel

Joe biebel Podium

Maybe provide a link??

3. mfp

mfp Podium

piste off likes this.
  4. bobb121

bobb121 Podium

5. keropie

keropie Podium

My general first reaction is '107,00 Euro for a sabre blade? Thanks, I'm good...'

Of course, I'm a foil fencer, and I've certainly spent more than that on foil blades, but I just don't find the longevity to get there in sabre blades to make that worthwhile...

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Right, I can get 4 or 5 regular sabre blades for that kind of money The regular blades break eventually but they do last long enough to make them cost effective. Not sure these maragings are. They break eventually too, and they like to take odd bends and kinks that are difficult if not impossible to straighten out.

Plus, no sooner would I buy one of those than it would get stolen or lost in an errant lost checked bag.

7. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Needablade.com got between 40-50 of each epee and foil blade. They emailed people on their mailing list last week for first shot at the blades in the US. I got one for myself and one for a friend. They might be sold out by now and I have no idea when they will restock because I think allstar wants to get these blades circulated at the world level and at the zonal/world champs before distributing to the gigantic US market.

EDIT: Should clarify I got two epees and the following opinions are about the epees, not foils.
    In terms of performance I really like it. Its 20g lighter so around 9-10% lighter than a typical BF. Its thinner near the tip and the crosspiece where it meets the guard is triangular. I think the weight is brought slightly farther back towards the hand than a typical BF. My only critiques are the spaghetti wire they give you is paper thin and however they made the matte black finish it seems to peel off after heavy blade actions. I could've done without the matte black honestly, i i wouldve bought a light BF just on the merit of it being lighter.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Why do you need this for sabre?

9. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Considering I was talking about needablade selling epees and foils and needablade has never sold sabers, and my review was about epees... you don't.

10. JMazzoli

JMazzoli Rookie

Never heard of "needablade.com" till Stence referenced it in his post. Stence is way more rational than me: lighter weight AND a matte black finish? Sold! I suppose that as far as unnecessary impulse purchases go, $159 is not too bad. Opponents who do not know me will quake in fear when they see me brandishing a "Predator" blade - unfortunately, those who do know me will just say, "meh, it's only Julio with a new toy." Sigh.

11. Stence

Stence Made the Cut

Don't get me wrong the finish is cool, but if its going to peel off after two practices I'd rather go without it.

Needablade is a newish US based company formed around two years ago explicitly for the purpose of importing BF blades without the markup that most of the major US vendors have. I think its because they exclusively sell BFs that they got the opportunity to import just a few way ahead of the widespread release.

12. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Ah. For some reason I thought the 'black' was only a Sabre blade.

13. mfp

mfp Podium

Well, I both know you and have a Predator on order as well. :)

btw needablade is based only a few miles from you.

14. JMazzoli

JMazzoli Rookie

I did see, to my surprise, that needablade was located close by, and I had no idea that (a) its founder is the tall guy with a German accent giving foil lessons at Marx Fencing Academy on Saturdays (whom I have never spoken to) when I am fencing epee there, or that (b) said founder has an incredibly impressive fencing resume. As to your having a Predator on order too, well then, there goes that advantage which, since you know me (particularly after fencing me for over an hour straight last Labor Day week-end), I sorely needed.

15. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

is lighter automatically 'better'?

You can demo a $200 tennis racquet before committing.
    It's rough that one has to commit to a $100-160 blade to know whether you like it or not.

16. nyacfencing

nyacfencing DE Bracket

I've been using a predator (m) over the last month, and I not only don't like it... I despise it and am disassembling it. It's so flexible as to be unwieldy. I just cannot control the thing.

That lightness they advertise... they achieved that by shaving down the blade. It's so thin when you first look at it you think it's a foil blade. As I quickly attack the thing starts flexing up and down, and as a result I find point control difficult. I've also noticed a lot of flat non-touches since it's hard to control the angle of contact. This isn't advertised as being super-flexible... only a medium flexibility. It's also not all that black... more of a medium gray. It's not even that easy to spot which one it is in my bag (I usually find myself trying to avoid it).

I cannot imagine taking this out of my bag at a tournament. I am going to give it the ultimate thumbs-down by mounting it on my fencing dummy as an extremely expensive practice tool.

Maybe the stiffer option is better, but I'm not willing to risk so much money to find out.