Two pin body cords

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by OmegaDaDragon, Apr 18, 2019.

1. OmegaDaDragon

OmegaDaDragon Rookie

I was wondering what body cords you guys used? I'm looking for one that is good quality and that will hopefully last longer than others. Any suggestions? Suggestions for mask cords would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I favor Favero cords, myself....but with Uhlmann weapon ends as they're more durable than the Favero casings. I make cords for my supply biz, so I can easily make that change.

For mask cords, I make them straight for sale (in case a buyer goes to an FIE event where they must be straight), but my personal ones are curly (which are legal in the US).

3. neevel

neevel Armorer

If you are willing to spend the money, the Negrini 2-prong is probably the best out there, and the new Leon Paul 2-Prong looks very promising (particularly with the strain relief tail on the plug; make sure you get the repairable plug version instead of the 'throwaway' molded plug). Generally speaking, you will need to spend more that $20 to get out of the 'cheap' range for bodycords. For mask cords, avoid any coiled cords that might still be on the market, and look for one that uses proper stainless or copper crocodile clips (i.e., Mueller #27 or equivalent) instead of a plated clip. You'll generally need to spend $9 or more for a decent mask cord.

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I use Negrini 2-prong bodycords. ( Just bought one of the LP 2-prongs to test. )

Mask cords I am using the heavy-duty Swordmasters straight ones.

I am with Purple on preffering the coiled ones, as the straight ones are NOT LONG ENOUGH.

( You have to hold the mask too close to your face when testing, and I do not like the other guy waving his sabre that near my precious eyes. With the curly ones you can hold the mask at arm's length down at your side. But the FIE apparently wants people to get eye injuries or something because it has mandated the short straight cords. And it's reason for prohibiting the coiled ones is stupid. )

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

No more stupid than the ruling banning bayonet mounts

6. Zebra

Zebra Podium

I use Sword Masters coiled. Excellent materials (the most important part of cords) and workmanship.
    As for body cords, I use two-prong since they're most plentiful. Don't remember when I last paid for one: I just keep accumulating them. So I bring three or four to a tournament, and if anything is at all iffy, I switch cords and fix it when I get home.

7. Zebra

Zebra Podium

And another thing about body cords: a lot of the failures are the result of careless handling--specifically pulling them out of the socket by the wire instead of grasping the shell. Parents: pay attention to how your fencers handle their cords, and it will save you considerable money.

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

What was the reason for that, anyway?

9. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

Leon Paul didn't pay enough to keeps them legal /s

10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

That may be the distal cause, but there must have been a proximal cause. Or to put it another way, there had to have been a semi-plausible explanation to provide cover for the naked power/money grab.

11. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

FIE claimed that 2 prongs were the best cord for a number of reasons. Leon Paul responded with study into their claims refuting most of their points I believe. Supposedly was also to make things work better with the wireless system.

12. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Actually it was the 'God of Television'. First, NBC told the FIE to get rid of the reels, the slapping of the wire on the piste was driving their sound engineers mad. This cause us to go wireless. Now if you use reels and you have 20/25 ohms resistance, no problem. But with wireless, problems. It was determined it was always the fencers equipment that caused the problem. STM wireless is PERFECT! The worse offender and common denominator for all 3 was the body cord. NBC told the FIE we will not broadcast you unless they have new body cords for each bout. Since it would be impossible to have every type of cord, they went with the most common.

All Hail, the one true God, they have spoken!

ktinoue3 likes this.
  13. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I build my own using Favero wire and Uhlmann plug ends. I avoid anything with the basket/bird-cage style pin plugs, which currently is FWF and Favero. At the SLC NAC I noticed that Sword Masters still has some Favero wires with the older-style bladed plug pins, which are about as good as an Uhlmman/Allstar.

14. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

15. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Wait---a new body cord for every bout?! :eek: As in, change your cord for a brand new one after a single use and throw it away? Or as in just change it for a different one after every use?

Who pays for all of these cords? The fencer? The federation? The FIE? Donated by vendors?

16. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

The organizers or their sponsors pay. What they do with them is their decision. Of course, they will only buy the best! I never said this was well thought out. For example are every 2-prong body cord compatible with every 2-prong guard connector?

Our 'One True God' has been speaking to us since at least 1975 and the FIE executive committee has been listening, not hearing any other voices.

17. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

I was never clear weather their desire for a single cord was the driver all we were told is that:

"Equipment that does not work perfectly in all situations and therefore does not comply with FIE Rules (body wire with bayonet connection),
    Will not be accepted during equipment controls at FIE competitions. The SEMI Commission will immediately contact manufacturers about this matter."

There is some catch all rule which I can't find that says essentially that "equipment must work perfectly in all situations".

DHCJr likes this.
  18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

And of course there is nothing in all the realms of human activity, endeavor and industry which works perfectly in all situations.

19. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

What they were probably using was m.5.3.e. & m.5.3.d They were just using that as an excuse. The real reason, NBC didn't want the bouts interrupted by problem of equipment not working and the STM wireless has to have everything perfect or it doesn't work. If someone sweats to much it doesn't work. If resistance goes up 50% from perfect it doesn't work. When working with reels, if the resistance goes up 500% it is not a problem.

Of course, they picked 2-prong, because as we all know, they are PERFECT and would never give an intermittent or the security fail!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  20. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

At this weekend's Qualifier, the FIE B Head Ref penalized me when I changed my bayonet body cord to two-prong to accommodate a borrowed third weapon following the in-bout failure of my conforming two.o_O