Future coach opening in CA.

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Purple Fencer, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

To all;

David Powell, a teacher at Hemet HS in Hemet, CA, and the coach of the school’s fencing team, is looking to retire in a couple of years and is looking for someone to take over the program.

The team has been steadily improving with a number of the members competing outside the SoCal Scholastic League and going to JOs.

Contacts him for more details at [email protected] California teaching credential required (or working toward one).

Please spread the word.

ReadyFence likes this.
  2. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

Man those are some crazy requirements.
    I thought it was tough in Texas but California is worse.

3. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

do you mean the requirements to be a teacher?

4. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

correct

5. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

I think the minimum is BA/S or higher, pass the CBEST (which anyone with a BA/S should pass, I did), complete a student teaching assignment, complete a teacher subject matter course (or pass the test) and a couple other courses.

that said, there are schools who hire coaches who just work on stipend and only coach sports, or are working towards the requirements. Lot of schools/districts though are hesitant to hire single-subject teachers.

how does it work in texas?

6. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

Well, @Privateer when I looked up the requirements for California it sated that you had to renew your credentials every 5 years. This is not the case in Texas. The requirements I believe will vary depending on the school district. Also the last high school I looked at applying for required a Masters Certificate in teaching.

7. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

interesting difference. I wasn't trying to be combative, was genuinely curious.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Keep in mind that this requirement applies to only the Hemet school district. Probably LAUSD as well, given their size.

It does NOT apply to the other schools in our league, which are all independent schools and make their own rules. The coaches at Chaminade, Haevard-Westlake, Victor Valley, etc are not teachers first and coaches 2nd....they're fencing coaches only.