Custom Masks

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Traceracer02, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Traceracer02

Traceracer02 Rookie

I recently got a new mask and want to have it airbrushed painted, I plan on using this mask for training and competition purposes. I've checked the USFA approved masks and there is less then 10 and for all the years fencing It seems I've only seen one which is approved. If I get my mask painted and not approved what is the possibility that I won't be able to use it in any level competition. Thanks for any answers!

2. sdubinsky

sdubinsky Made the Cut

If it's not a preapproved design, it is entirely up to the head ref at the event, and there's no way to predict in advance what they'll say.

However, it's pretty easy to submit a design to the USFA.

3. Stormbringer

Stormbringer DE Bracket

In theory, there is the stipulation in the rulebook:
    "Masks may feature colored designs, on condition that they are approved by the Fencing Officials Commission at least 30 days before being used for the first time in an official USA Fencing competition OR at the discretion of the head referee. Fencers must submit pictures that clearly show the entirety of the design. Accepted designs will be posted on the Fencing Officials Commission website."

In practice, it's probably the case that the Head Referees of most strictly-local competitions wouldn't disallow it, provided it's not obviously vulgar or offensive (e.g. an image of a phallus, or a racist/sexist/etc caricature).
    For a larger competition, it's probably best to follow the procedure outlined in the rulebook (that is, take pictures and send them to the organizer, asking if the design is okay), and keep a copy of the response you get (e.g. a print-out of the e-mail) if the design is approved.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Our national team wear flagged masks. Out of the ~100 DV1 competitors maybe one wears one. 'Nuff said.:rolleyes:

5. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Interesting to note that there are several NCAA schools that have painted masks, and none are on the RC (formerly the FOC) approved list. That hasn't stopped them from being worn at events - that is non-NCAA ones. ;-)

6. dcchew

dcchew Podium

In my opinion, custom painted mask are like tattoos. At first, they're great, but sometime afterwards you'd wish you never did it.

jpj likes this.
  7. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Last time I paid attention, I saw about 6-8 flag masks across both genders in Div 1 saber. If you figure that three cadets, four juniors and four seniors are given flag masks as team members each season, and the top 2-3 seniors don't fence Div 1 at NACs, that's about right :)

8. VorpalCat

VorpalCat Podium

When I was painting masks, I never heard of any of them being rejected for competition, fwiw.

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I've yet to hear of an issue at a local event....one of my teammates turned his mask into an Insane Clown Posse deal with no issues (except from his coach, who told him to paint it black).

Most people locally don't care...although if you're a new U fencer and have a US flag mask like the national team members do, you kinda have to back that up.

I've seen pink masks with white butterflies on the front, and masks that look like a demented Power Ranger. No issues locally.

ReadyFence likes this.
  10. Traceracer02

Traceracer02 Rookie

Thanks for so many responses and they really have helped, I'm 15 years old and have been fencing foil since I was 9-10 with breaks. I've traveled the country to fence and have been ranked/rated almost the entire time. I recently started epee which for me is really just for fun and to mess around. So I'm wondering on more then just the local scale. I wanted to paint my epee mask kinda like a knight/Templar in gray I'm just wondering if it would pass because my mom would kill me if I payed $100+ for not be able to use my mask....

11. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Then this sounds like a great opportunity for you to take responsibility, get up a little nerve, and submit your proposed design to FOC!

12. dcchew

dcchew Podium

The two key words are "Mom" and "kill". I'd suggest you always keep Mom happy. Otherwise, you may doing your own laundry and cooking.

OrangeandStripey likes this.
  13. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Then there is that moment when you step onto the strip for an épée bout and see Justin Meehan standing there in a Punisher mask... :eek:

14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yyyyeah.....that would be run-away worthy.

Although, having a 6'9" student for a couple of years now, Meehan'd size wouldn't scare me much....I'd still DIE, but not afraid.

15. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

"Don't run, you'll just die tired...". Yeah that'd be me.

16. OrangeandStripey

OrangeandStripey Made the Cut

How would one go about doing that?

17. Jvanhousen

Jvanhousen DE Bracket

You could try Googling "How to submit mask design to the FOC?" then clicking on the first hit.

18. OrangeandStripey

OrangeandStripey Made the Cut

i
    couldnt have imagined google would have a respinse for something so niche.

19. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Hey! Let Traceracer figure it out!

ReadyFence likes this.