2017 Kansas City JOs Thread

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by SevenDad, Feb 14, 2017.

1. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

Here's a question to start...given an 8 AM start, 217 fencers, and a straight DE table...what's people's best guess on when the JWE event on Saturday will end? Trying to plan a dinner.

2. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

A good way to estimate is by using the "results" section of the USFA website. Look at the same event at JOs for the last three years, check the number of participants, and see what time the event finished up (at the top of the results screen). If you want to guess, it's a good way to predict future behavior (as long as you're planning a dinner and not a flight!).

SevenDad and jdude97 like this.
  3. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

Thanks! Interestingly...both of the 8 AM JWE starts ended around 4 PM (roughly 8 hours start to finish). But the one event that started at 1 PM finished around 7:30 (6.5 from start to finish). None were as big as 2017's JWE event.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    ReadyFence likes this.
  4. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

In that case, I would budget at least a full 8 hours, plus the girls will want to clean up. How does 7:00 sound for dinner? :)

5. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

6. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Thank you! I was wondering when that would show up.

7. saberist

saberist Rookie

Does anyone know why the ranking listed on the seeding list is different from the actual ranking list? I'm not referring to the seeding number, but the rank listed next to the rating. Some of the fencer's ranking seem to be randomly listed, even much higher up in the rank from the rolling point list. I sent USFA an email questioning this, but didn't get a straight answer.

8. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Could be that FIE finishes for the top X number of fencers takes priority

9. cfulmer

cfulmer Made the Cut

Anybody know if the armory is hoping to check equipment today and, if so, when?

10. SevenDad

SevenDad DE Bracket

Does anyone know what time weapons-check will be open until on Friday evening? The packet says when it opens, but not when it closes (and least not where I'm looking)...do they stay until the end of the final event of the day? Trying to determine if I should try to go after our flight lands to avoid the inevitable long line Saturday AM.

11. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Yes they have to stay to the last touch of the final bout of the day and are unlikely to stay a minute longer than that unless the last event finishes really early and they're feeling nice.

ReadyFence likes this.
  12. nyc-mum

nyc-mum Rookie

Cadet women's foil has over 200 entrants and close of check-in is at 2pm. I think that weapons check will be open to at least 8 pm. See you online later today!!!

13. catwood1

catwood1 Podium

The universe has finally conspired against me. Me and my students had flights cancelled, and missing the JMS event. :-(

14. neevel

neevel Armorer

The first day's competition is ended, all results are posted, and the venue is now closed. Hence, everything's up to date in Kansas City, they've gone about as far as they can go.

Peach, Goldgar and SevenDad like this.
  15. Malcolm Parry

Malcolm Parry Made the Cut

Thanks to all the refs, armorers, bout committee, and other administrators who made the event run well.

jdude97 likes this.