Thread: Golubitsky-Pro Blade from Leon Paul

Golubitsky-Pro Blade from Leon Paul

Has anyone used this blade? Do you know of anyone who has? Any comments? I understand that this blade was designed to put the balance near the bell guard which enables better point control.
    Last edited by corinna2u; 01-09-2004 at 02:13 AM.

pkt
    Perhaps this thread belongs in the Armoury section?
    Have you looked up the product review section?
    Or the fencing Froum run by Leon Paul?
    http://fencingforum.com/forum/
    Sorry, Craig, just being helpful.

PK

Re: Golubitsky-Pro Blade from Leon Paul

Originally posted by corinna2u
    Has anyone used this blade? Do you know of anyone who has? Any comments? I understand that this blade was designed to put the balance near the bell guard which enables better point control.
    does it really matter what kind of blade you have

Yes.
    =)=///

pkt

Thank you, it would make sense that their forum would probably have more info on their products.

I did try the product review search and it came back with 0. It is possible I did it wrong, being as it was my first stab.

I apologize for starting this thread in the Fencing Discussion. I thought armoury was for how to fix...not for equipment preference or critique...just like the threads on shoes that I have seen several times in the Fencing Discussion.

Oh well, still learning.

Edew

I would really like you to expand you answer. It would help me in knowing if I am in any way on the right track.

When my son was playing tennis. He started with a stock racquet. His coach then suggested he get a higher grade racquet. Then difference in the game was phenomenal.

My husband has been a carpenter and professional household painter. He believes very strongly that the right saw or the right brush with the right skill and knowledge makes a huge difference. The difference between very nice and top notch.

Now back to what I am trying to accomplish. The two serious fencers in my household do not flick (they can, they just don't really use the flick on the strip); therefore, I thought that there would be no point in pursuing that type of blade. They have worked very hard on their point control...so it isn't like I am looking for a blade to fix something that they should just fix. But, with their style of fencing, I thought that a blade balanced for point control might be the route to go.

So if you would expand your answer, then maybe I will gain some insight. Thanks.

I'm not Edew, (though doesn't everyone wish they could be? ;-) but seriously having the best blade in fencing is more of a luxury than anything else. If suddenly all my blades broke, and I had to use someone else's I'd be more concerned about what kind of pistol grip they had.

I've painted ceilings, and YES the right brush makes all the difference in the world, not so in fencing. If I use FIE blades and you were to suddenly give me a cheap $20 blade to fence a tourny I wouldn't freak out. Having the best blade to suit your stlye of fencing isn't going to dramaticly improve your fencing, especially if you don't flick.

Having said that, I do believe FIE blades are well worth the money. They'll last much longer and retain their shape better. Buy them for those reasons, don't buy them thinking they'll make your son a Golubitsky.

I don't want to turn him into a Golubitsky; I want him to be who he is and reach his own potential.

But since I am investing in FIE blades, I figured that I would get the kind that would best reflect my son's style. I purchased the more expensive blades for our female fencer and she absolutely loves the balance of her foil. And, when her foils weren't working, we exchanged her grip onto my son's foil and she fenced fine...maybe a small fraction less than with her own blade.

I do know he doesn't need a blade that was designed with flicking in mind...but I need to narrow down the other choices.

(And before anyone starts hammering me about spoiling...these blades are being purchased with his money; money earned by getting up really early and shoveling snow.)

A suggestion, if you can, do not buy through mail order. Most blades are handmade for the most part. There will be good and bad blades from all manufacturers.

If you are at a NAC or other major competition you will see a lot of good Armorers. They will be more than will to show you how to test blades. Just don't go first thing in the morning when they are swamped.

What you are looking for is problems or iregularities. Run you fingers down the blade. What you are checking for is a smooth transition down the blade. If you find places that suddenly get thinner and then out again, that is where it will have weak points. Check for the groove that it is regular. Check the weld of the tang, that it is smooth. Place your open palm on the end of the tang and press down. Does it bend over the whole blade or just in one spot. If it is just one spot, that is a weak area. This will help you in picking out a blade that will last.

If you are looking at bare blades there are other things to look for. The threads should be regular and try and have between 5 and 8 threads. The groove where the threads are should be a V. This is not something you should reject a blade for, but you should use a triangular file to widen in. When the barrel is cranked down that will close. If it is too small, it will scape the wire and may cause shorts. Another thing that is not grounds for rejection is a shoulder. The blade should have a smooth transition down the blade. When the barrel is tighten it should stop when it is tight, not when it reaches the shoulder. This is a cause of a lot of loose barrels.

For all, read Joe Byrnes article in the Winter 2004 issue. It will help us all.
    Donald Hollis Clinton, Jr.
    DHCJr@juno.com

To Teach is to Learn (Japanese Proverb)

Knowing the rule book by heart means nothing, if you don't understand the rules.

Having a good blade is essential! I have finally found my personal preference for control to flick ratio, and found good blades for me. You hand me a triplette blade in the middle of a NAC and I would freak like crazy!
    Homestarrunner forever!~!
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/20x6vs1936.html

http://www.homestarrunner.com/cheatvideo.html

DHCJr

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I have to order now. We won't be going to a major comp until the DEC 04 NAC DIV I.