Thread: motivation

Just Joined

motivation

I'm sure something like this must have been posted at one point or another, but one of my greatest difficulties in fencing is that I tend to be a "lazy fencer." I don't quite go for the touch, or try as hard as I probably should to actually make the touch. This leaves me with lots of good set-ups but not enough hits. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how one could really get past that fear/lazy stage to really make all touches? Thanks!

Re: motivation

Originally posted by hayalda
    I'm sure something like this must have been posted at one point or another, but one of my greatest difficulties in fencing is that I tend to be a "lazy fencer." I don't quite go for the touch, or try as hard as I probably should to actually make the touch. This leaves me with lots of good set-ups but not enough hits. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how one could really get past that fear/lazy stage to really make all touches? Thanks!
    You just gotta want it!..Really badly! Then you'll find you are able to do things faster than you knew before.
    -la bouche

Just Joined
    Thanks! what if part of that not totally going for it, is fear of screwing up though?? how does one fix that?

Mo
    Originally posted by hayalda
    Thanks! what if part of that not totally going for it, is fear of screwing up though?? how does one fix that?
    Get in shape. Run, take aerobics classes and lift weights. The better shape you are in the less of a chance you have to fail.
    The reason for most failure is your mind's ability to work so much faster than your body.
    A friend will bail you out of jail,
    a true friend will help you hide the body...
    : )

take the plunge, i used to be sorta lazy too (being im a lazy person in general) i had to practice a lot on just going for everything...gotta step outa your comfort zone in order to get to someplace better. "Just Do It" (nike, i think?) good quote...just do it. gotta force yourself to do it. In the end you will thank yourself!

Chris Triplett
    Life isnt about finding yourself. Its about creating yourself!

practice concentration. Usually when I lose my motivation right at the end of a phrase (that last extension on the reposte), it is because my concentrations just hasn't lasted that long. Think of it this way.... you went through all that work to get the parry, why would have want to slack off on the final action that really does take the least energy and gives you your reward (the point)?

Don't be afraid! Pick an action and DO it! Don't worry about them... there will always be a move to counter yours, but you don't know that they'll do it. Put everything you've got into what you decide to do... you'll be suprised at how well this works. Indecision will get you hit, pretty fast. Even if the action is simple, an action with gumption will succeed more often then an indecisive action.
    -Sabresque

"Those whippernsapper Be-Bop Bohemians!"

find someone at your club who is better than you, and say to yourself, "I really want to beat him" Make that your life's goal when you step into a jacket. Thats what I did to get fired up, and after a while of this you start to forget how to be lazy.
    Homestarrunner forever!~!
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/20x6vs1936.html

http://www.homestarrunner.com/cheatvideo.html